East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.53701°N / 105.50875°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Meridian Trailhead


Drive west from Denver on US 285 approximately 28 miles to the traffic light before the top of Crow Hill. Turn right (northwest) on to Park County 43 A and drive in a northwesterly direction for 6.8 miles to a "Y" in the road. Bear right. Go 1.5 miles, passing Meridian Campground on the left. Take the next left and turn left on Prospector Way. Go .8 miles past Camp Rosalie to the trailhead. The last mile is a single lane dirt road and can be muddy.

Route

Summit block in snow


The 3.3 mile Meridian Trail travels north as it rises out of the Elk Creek drainage, then begins to bear in a northeasterly direction. This portion of Meridian Trail passes through several aspen groves and offers views looking east & south. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow.

Close to the saddle you see the summit of Rosedale Peak to your left above you.

Leave the trail and bushwhack along the east ridge up to the summit.

The summit talus field offers plenty of fun scrambling opportunities.

Mountain Conditions

Along the trail

The mountain can be climbed year round.

The trail crosses three creeks - always treat water before drinking to kill any nasty parasite.

Expect deep snow during winter and early sping. It will be quite a work out if you have to break the trail in winter.

The wind chill up on the summit block can be brutal.

Essential Gear

Hiking boots in summer.

Snow shoes and walking sticks in winter.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.