East Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.56170°N / 118.8589°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the parkinglot at the NE end of Convict Lake, head directly up the slopes on the lakes SE side. The first part is quite steep and sandy, but this eases after 400 ft of climbing. There is an inlet to the lake that comes the south, draining the east side of Mt. Morrison. Follow the same direction as the creek, but stay high on the ridge to the left (east). The creek is a jumble of boulders, whereas the ridge has firmer footing.

The hiking here is often hot - there is no shade, and much scrub. After two miles the canyon turn to the right, closer to Mt. Morrison's east side. Follow this to a small tarn, then head west, bringing you abreast the East Slope.

Route Description


There are several routes you can take to the summit that remain class 2. The easiest route seems to be on the right side of the East Slope. A buttress splits the east route, the left side being a wide bowl, and the right side is more a chute/slope. There is a faint use trail that helps in climbing much of the steep, loose sand and scree on the right side. Eventually you'll need to cross over the buttress to the left and climb the remaining distance up the wide bowl.

Alternatively, at the base of the East Slope you can continue south a short ways and enter the bowl directly from the bottom. The lower half is steep and requires some (not so difficult) route-finding to keep it class 2. But the rock is very loose here, and the going is slower going this way than sticking to the right side.

Essential Gear


None.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jun 4, 2006 1:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Tobacco Flats Sheep 4x4 Road

Which is "Little Morrison"? Is that between Morrison and Mono Jim? Thanks for the additional info. I remember wondering if there was a way to drive up there when I was passing by it. Also, is the road good enough for all vehicles, or is 4wd needed?

BobD3

BobD3 - Jun 26, 2016 7:51 pm - Hasn't voted

approach description

"stay high on the ridge, the creek is a jumble of boulders". I followed the creek bed up to the first trees (9300 ft.) and found nothing but flat rock and firm footing the whole way. No boulders anywhere. Perhaps the most enjoyable part of the route was here.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.