East Slopes/South Ridge via FR 230

East Slopes/South Ridge via FR 230

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.55250°N / 106.3507°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with Scramble Finish
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 Finish, 4-5 miles one way
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The Continental Divide Trail (CDT) is the majority of this route. Begin at the 4 wheel drive trailhead on FR 230. Without a 4-wheel drive the unofficial 2 wheel drive trailhead is the US Highway 50/FR 230 intersection in Garfield. Parking is available at the Monarch Lodge but call ahead to ask permission. Beginning at US Highway 50 adds over a mile of hiking each way on FR 230.

Route Description


From the 4 wheel drive trailhead, head up the CDT past large Boss Lake and the smaller Hunt Lake before switchbacking into the upper basin above Hunt Lake.

From the upper basin the CDT climbs more switchbacks before reaching the actual divide near Point 12,535. Head south along the CDT along the west slopes of Bald Mountain.

A steep talus/boulder scramble up the west slope can be avoided by following the CDT around to the south ridge and walking up more gradual grassy slopes to the summit.

Essential Gear


Typical above treeline hiking gear is appropriate in the summer and early fall months. Avalanche danger is most likely high in winter and spring.

The 2 wheel drive trailhead is accessible year-round as it is located along U.S. Highway 50.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.