Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.53417°N / 119.79664°W
Additional Information County: Alpine
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9731 ft / 2966 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hiram, Airola and Folger Peak from Ebbetts RidgeSouthwest from Ebbetts Ridge
This is the high point along the Sierra Crest (unnamed on topo) just south of Ebbetts Pass between the pass and Tryon Peak in the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness.
The ridge is composed of volcanic terrain characteristic of the Northern Sierra between Sonora Pass and South Lake Tahoe.
With a round trip romp of less than 3 miles and 1,000' gain this class 1 ridge ramble is one of those bang for you buck hikes easily accessed from just off the Pacific Crest Trail at the pass.
There are fine views of the surrounding peaks especially the Silver-Highland Peak massif over Noble Canyon to the northeast.

Getting There

North from Ebbetts RidgeNorth from Ebbetts Ridge
From Interstate 99 at Stockton go east on Hwy. 4 108 miles to Ebbetts Pass, 8,732'. From Hwy. 395 go west on Hwy. 4 over Monitor Pass 25 miles to Ebbetts Pass.
You can park off Hwy 4 at the pass and hike southeast directly up the ridge or you can drive .5 miles northeast to trailhead parking on the right and take the trail south, crossing the PCT and then up the ridge.

Red Tape

Ebbetts Ridge northeastSilver Peak from Ebbetts Ridge
There are no permits required for this day hike.

Camping

Southeast from Ebbetts RidgeSouth from Ebbetts Ridge
Silver Creek Campground: 5.5 miles east of Ebbetts Pass on Hwy. 4 at 6,800'.
Bloomfield Campground: by the Highland Lakes road 1.4 miles west of the pass. Go 1 mile southeast on the Highland Lakes Road to the campground at 7,800'.

Current weather and 5 day forecast

Ebbetts Ridge east, south, west panoEast, south, west pano from Ebbetts Ridge
For current weather and 5 day forecast for the Markleeville area click here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ebbetts Pass AreaMountains & Rocks