Ecstasy Junior (5.4 PG *)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.83500°N / 79.366°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.4 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The guidebook designates this moderate two pitch route on the South Peak as a "highly recommended" route. It seems to have a little bit of everything and is quite fun. Besides the traverse at the bottom the route mostly follows a couple crack systems to comfortable belay ledges. There is at least one old piton and a couple trees on the route to suppliment what pro you bring with you.

Getting There

Pitch 1Pitch 1

Follow the directions to Seneca Rocks from the main page. This climb enjoys a very short approach. To arrive at the bottom of the route, hike up Roy Gap Road to the South End climbing area. This is quickest from the Visitor Center's southern parking lots. Just before the road crosses the stream, cross the stream yourself and
ascend the rock steps. You will be between two rock fins and EJ is located on the right which is to say the west side of the south peak in an area known as the Southwest Corner. It is above the first flat belay platform at the top of the wood steps although at least one variation starts from the platform.

Route: P1 (70 feet, 5.4)

The route starts right from a switchback on the trail. There is a ten foot wall that needs to be surmounted to gain a broad ledge. Some groups just free climb the couple moves and set up the belay at a tree on this big ledge. Cross to the right side and then traverse across a foot wide ledge that passes through an otherwise fairly blank section of wall while the ground drops away. At the end of the ledge follow the crack system up to a big belay ledge.

Route P2 (80 feet, 5.4)

Pitch 2Pitch 2

From the left side of the belay using a right facing inside corner and a crack system, climb up to the left side of a small roof. Pass the roof on the left and climb the face and wide crack to a "cave" and then the belay ledge.

Descent

Rappel off a tree (rap rings supplied) to the P1 belay ledge. Use a similar setup to rappel from there to the ground. A single 60m rope is sufficient.

Essential Gear

Trad rack of medium pro. Look for opportunities to thread slings or wires through constrictions. The belay anchors can include trees.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.