brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

Nice, complete page. Thanks for posting it!
Posted Sep 29, 2004 10:02 pm

MgrossUntitled Comment

Mgross

Thanks so much!
Posted Sep 29, 2004 10:38 pm

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Very nice! From the sig pic it looks similar to Vestal Peak in Colorado. Nice wall! Great job and have a good one!

-Britt
Posted Sep 29, 2004 10:07 pm

MgrossUntitled Comment

Mgross

Thanks for your vote! You have a good one, too!
Posted Sep 29, 2004 10:38 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Nice job!
Posted Sep 30, 2004 3:48 am

Joseph BulloughUntitled Comment

Joseph Bullough

Well done page. There's a typo in the When to Climb section: 'ealry'.
Posted Sep 30, 2004 8:43 am

MgrossUntitled Comment

Mgross

Hey, thanks for noticing that. I changed it. Have a good one!
Posted Sep 30, 2004 8:53 am

Don NelsenUntitled Comment

Don Nelsen

Good job! I'd thought about putting this one up myself but needed more pics and beta. It's better someone from the area takes care of it, though, and you've done good work.

BTW, I tried to do the trail last May and the lot was closed and Do Not Enter signs were posted but I've heard, though not confirmed, that it's ok to go up. What have you heard, and have you done the trail recently?

Don
Posted Sep 30, 2004 3:17 pm

MgrossUntitled Comment

Mgross

Hi Don! Thanks for your vote and your note! I climbed the South Arete last Saturday. I had a hard time in the past finding the trailhead: ( some people had told me that there was a sign posted " Climber's Trail" but I have never ever seen anything like that.) I lucked out last weekend, because a group of 30-40 climbers with the San Diego Climber's Coalition were doing trail maintenance, and clearly showed me the way on El Monte Road... I think these might be the folks who spraypainted the blue arrows denoting the trail. As for the El Cajon Mtn trail, I have not seen it since the Cedar Fires, so I'm not exactly sure on its condition. I'll try and check soon and give an update. Again, thanks!
Posted Sep 30, 2004 6:03 pm

Don NelsenUntitled Comment

Don Nelsen

By the way, it's I-8 east, not west in the "Getting there" section.

don
Posted Sep 30, 2004 8:10 pm

fuzzy05Trail Closed

fuzzy05

El Cajon Mt. Trail is currently closed "Until Further Notice." Found out the hard way yesterday, as I made it all the way to the trailhead parking lot only to discover it closed.
Posted Mar 29, 2006 2:00 am

chudderTrail Open

chudder

El Cajon Mt. Trail is open.
Posted Apr 19, 2007 5:44 pm

DebRe: Trail Open

Deb

Chud - you did the whole trip in less than 5 hours? Were you running? Any snow around there?
Posted Apr 19, 2007 6:13 pm

chudderRe: Trail Open

chudder

Right about 5.5 hours RT, jogging on much of the return trip. ~3.5 hours up, ~30 minutes on top eating chocolate and looking for a register (couldn't find one), ~1.5 hours down. My knees weren't too happy about the downhill! I WISH there were snow up there, but I don't think there's snow anywhere in S.D. County right now.
Posted Apr 19, 2007 9:40 pm

PrestonRheaEl Cajon Mtn "Spire"

PrestonRhea

I was climbing up the South Arete and I saw the big block to the west and was just wondering if anyone climbed it or knew of anyone who has. It is ridge probably 25 feet wide and 50 feet tall that tops out at a point.

So, any beta?
Posted Sep 28, 2008 10:36 pm

mtntaylorSquirrels

I have been climbing at ECM for quite a while now. Recently it seems the squirrels at the base have figured out that packs left at the base while we climb often contain tasty snacks. This has lead to two of my packs being chewed completely through by the bastards. On one occasion I watched from two pitches up as one gnawed through my new climbing pack, and could do nothing about it at the time. To remedy this I packed in a large, green Rubbermaid storage tote. I brought this up so that other climbers like myself can climb without worry of losing our snack, and packs. I left the tote near the base of Leonids. Please use it with respect (i.e., don't leave garbage or food to spoil in it) and also...don't feed the squirrels. Climb on!

-Mike T.