Elbrus North Route

Elbrus North Route

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 43.35255°N / 42.43790°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 15, 2011
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

North Route

There was a lot of uncertainly leading up to this climb of Elbrus. Back in February there were a couple terrorist incidents reported in the news. Three Russian skiers were killed and others injured when their van was stopped by armed men on the way to the Mt Elbrus ski area. An explosion on Elbrus brought down some gondola cars on the ski lift. The government responded by engaging and killing terrorists in a battle near the mountain. The mountain was closed for a few weeks and then reopened. Things then stayed quiet in the area. Just weeks before we were to leave for Elbrus the mountain was closed again. There had not been any new incidents to trigger this closing. Only the onset of summer.
Elbrus from North Base CampElbrus from base camp

Meanwhile we had our visas, paid for plane tickets and arranged and paid for tours of Moscow and St Petersburg. Cancelling the trip entirely was not a reasonable option for us. Even if we couldn’t go to the mountain we were going to Russia. But we did want to climb.

We monitored the situation the best we could and learned no foreigners were allowed access to the easier south side standard route. Guiding companies were however successfully taking clients to the harder north side of the mountain. Normally the north side takes longer than the one week airport-back-to-airport window we had allowed for the south side. We knew things would have to fall in place just right for us to get the summit from the north. We also agreed we would rather go to Elbrus and not get the summit than not go at all.

To our advantage we live in Colorado. Most weekends we hike in the mountains. The previous weekend we slept 2 nights at 4300m and hiked above 4000m both Saturday and Sunday. We could arrive more acclimated than most clients so we asked Elbrus-Tours
http://www.elbrustours.ru/en/Elbrus/
http://www.elbrustours.ru/en/Elbrus/
if they could accommodate a shortened itinerary. They replied in the affirmative. Also their website mentioned arranging alternative hiking/climbing activities should we not be able to get to Elbrus.

My wife Dorthe & I left Denver on Wednesday June 8. We transferred at JFK for an overnight flight to Moscow. After a night at a Moscow airport hotel we flew to MinVody on Friday June 10. We were met at the airport by Sergy who would guide three others traveling with us, but climbing on a different schedule. We loaded our bags in Sergy’s SUV and waited for Lars and Anders, a couple guys from Denmark. We then drove to our hotel in Kislovodsk.

I had sent a deposit but still owed the balance which would be paid in cash. Sergy took me to a bank where I could change my US$ into rubles. We bought some water, fruit and trail mix at some stores around the corner from the hotel.
ElbrusRoadThe muddy road

Saturday June 11
Saturday morning we met our guide Yuri who had climbed Elbrus hundreds of times. In addition to the Yuri, Sergy and the driver, there was a porter, Sasha and another client, Den, a Russian. Den would be climbing on the same schedule as Lars and Anders. We loaded our gear into a Soviet era 4WD van. A very basic but tough machine that would prove up to the roads to the trailhead.

After a stop at Sergy’s to leave gear that wouldn’t be going to the mountain ,we left on our circuitous route to the mountain. Because authorities have declared the mountain to be closed we couldn’t take the most direct road. By driving an extra three hours on back roads we would avoid the police checkpoint.

Another uncertainty was how close the vehicle could get to the trailhead. On a previous trip a couple weeks earlier everyone had to hike for 5 or 6 hours after the road became impassable with the spring mud. Fortunately we were able to drive the entire way, but not without some exciting maneuvers.
Elbrus roadThe road

The trailhead is located at 8441’, 2573m which leaves over 10000’ to climb to the summit. It’s located in a large high valley field and covered with plants I associate with wet areas. I took these as an indicator how much it rains here. We were camped right next to a Russian army outpost. One personable soldier did most of the interacting with us. He quickly lets us know we weren’t to be taking pictures that show faces of any soldiers. There was no mention of the mountain being closed.

We got our tents pitched and that afternoon brought the first of what would be every day precipitation.
Elbrus North Base CampElbrus North Base Camp

The northern route is straight forward in concept. There is a base camp which can be driven to, and a high camp at the base of the glacier - elevation 12312’, 3753m Teams will usually do a carry / acclimation hike to the high camp before moving there. After moving to high camp an acclimation hike to Lenz Rocks 14958’, 4559m also serves as an opportunity to practice traveling while roped. Summit day is a big day with over 6000‘ vertical. Some choose to establish a higher camp to shorten summit day. The trade off is the physical effort involved in establishing that camp along with less chance of getting any sleep. A map of the route can be found on the following website:
http://www.5642.ru/routeDescription/
http://www.5642.ru/routeDescription/
Sunday June 12
Since we had arranged our trip based on climbing the easier south side, we had no choice but to shorten the usual schedule for the north. That meant moving up to high camp right away. For us the elevation wouldn’t be an issue, but moving up in one push meant hiring a porter to lighten our packs to a more manageable weight. The understanding was the porter would carry our share of the common gear: tent, food, cooking gear and also take our double boots and crampons. We would still have our sleeping bags, mattresses, climbing harness, axe, clothes and other personal items.
Elbrus North RouteRoute above base camp

The lower part of the trail was dry but wasn’t easy to hike on. This is not a constructed trail. It’s a braided network of trails that just happened. There are some steep spots with exposure in places. A feature part way up is the Aerodrome. This is a lightly sloping large flat area large enough to land airplanes. Yuri told us during the second world war the Germans used it as an airfield. Above the Aerodrome we started to have snow on the path. Closer to the high camp the snow was more continuous.
Elbrus North AerodromeAerodrome

I was packing 25kg so was real happy to arrive in camp about 6 hours after starting. The other group had lighter packs so were faster, and were heading down as we were approached high camp. Also as we passed we found out the three of us could stay in a 4 person hut that night. Yuri, our guide handed over a tent to Sergy to pack back down since we wouldn’t be needing it.
Elbrus North Hike to High CampHike to high camp

Shortly after arriving it started snowing heavily. We were happy not to be pitching a tent. The porter Sasha and the other client Den arrived out of the storm. Sasha had packed a very heavy load which seemed to be most of the food for both groups for the duration. Not dehydrated stuff either. There were canned goods, cheese, packages of cookies, crackers, processed meat, produce, soup mixes, etc. I was surprised to see Den pull my double boots out of his pack! He was a client, but since he wasn’t staying didn’t have to pack his other things, so he had the room.
Elbrus North Route HIke to High CampHike to high camp

Monday June 13
Acclimation hike to Lenz Rocks. Start 8:35 Yuri at front of rope, then me, then Dorthe. There was only 5m of rope between each of us, 10m total. Yuri set a slow pace. We took a few short breaks but we were moving most of the time. I declared a longer break at a small group of rocks at 14491’, 4417m to tape my heels which were getting hot. We got to Lenz rocks 14958’, 4559m at 12:55. Not great time. After a break it only took about an hour to come back to the hut. After the acclimation hike Dorthe announced she didn’t think she could go for the summit. She felt she used all her energy to make it that far, and didn’t see how she could maintain the effort to make it all the way to the summit. She was sacrificing her chance at the summit to give me a better chance. Later when we would analyze the day we decided she wore too much for the sun on the glacier and became dehydrated.
Elbrus Acclimation HikeAcclimation Hike

The guides didn’t want her to give up her chance for the summit. They pointed out the following day would be a rest day, she could think about it then. She thought about it and stuck to her decision.
Elbrus North Acclimation HikeAcclimation Hike

The other group arrived an we learned some bad news on the huts. We weren’t going to get to use the other 4 person hut. There were 8 of us. We still had use of one 4 person hut, but only one 2 person tent had been packed. Apparently the group that would take the other hut wouldn’t arrive until the next day so that put off the issue until the following day.
Elbrus North High CampHigh Camp

Tuesday June 14 Rest day.
Concern about the huts. All the guides seem to know each other so during the day place was found in existing tents for Sergy and Sasha. Den stayed with us. Lars and Anders stayed in the tent. The other group did their acclimation hike to Lenz Rocks.

That night Yuri and I would leave for the summit. Dorthe was still sure she wasn’t going to try it. The offer was made that Sasha could guide her to the closer east summit but Dorthe wasn’t interested. Because of the hut situation I mentioned to Yuri if we got back early enough it would make sense for us to pack down to base camp after returning from the summit. We agreed we would make the decision based on what time we got back. Also part of my thinking was I was getting tired of the hut. Since we only had one hut it was now the center of activity. Not only was there the cooking, there was weather every afternoon crowding people inside. I was getting cabin fever.

Wednesday June 15 Summit Day
The alarm was set for midnight. Yuri & I got moving at 1:20 with Yuri in the lead setting a slow but steady pace. Traveling on the rope I had to concentrate not to put in significant slack. Yuri’s stride was much shorter than mine, so I got into a routine of taking 2 or 4 steps and then letting the rope almost go tight, then another 2 or 4 steps. Yuri’s pace was such I never had any issues with breathing.

The snow was firm in the night and there were a lot of frozen boot tracks from the previous day’s acclimation hikes. I could see only one set of fresh tracks since the previous afternoon’s snow. We got to the lower small rocks at 4:00 am and Lenz Rocks at 4:30. After reaching Lenz rocks the route follows a series of rock out croppings until it is time to traverse across to the saddle.

In the pre dawn we could see it was shaping up to be a clear morning up high. The ubiquitous clouds were all below us. Yuri didn’t like to take many breaks but I declared a stop to take sunrise picture.
Sunrise Elbrus North RouteSunrise

Elbrus dawndawn

We got to the helicopter at 5:35. The helicopter clipped it’s tail while trying to land on a relatively flat spot. It’s a sensitive issue with the military. The soldier we spoke to the most knows the pilot and the pilot isn’t being blamed. However apparently someone posted pictures of the helicopter on the internet along with some nasty comments about the president. That didn’t sit well. When climbers get back to base camp their cameras are checked for helicopter pictures. If there are any pictures they have to be deleted. The soldier is polite and apologetic about this, but does insist. If you have pictures of the helicopter, do NOT post them on the internet. That could cause the military to decide they will participate in the closure of the mountain.
Ebrus RocksElbrus Rocks

Above the helicopter is a double row of rock ribs. On the uphill we stayed near the rocks on the left. Above the ribs we topped out in sight of the east summit push.
Elbrus East SummitEast Summit

We could see a small group above us heading up the east summit. Yuri said it would be 2 hours to do the lower east summit, but if we did the higher west summit it would be 5 hours round trip. What do I want to do? I told him if he had said it was 5 hours one way we would still be doing the west summit!
Elbrus Bezengi in distanceBezengi in distance

The traverse across to the saddle begins with only a little more than 400’ to gain for the saddle. Some of that elevation is gained traversing up out of the last of the rocks. Then it is a side slope on firmer snow towards the saddle. Time to stay sharp. There are a few patterns in the snow that suggest possible issues underneath in places.
Elbrus Ice FallIce Fall

Below the traverse, especially below the saddle there is a significant ice fall area. This would be a bad place to get off route in a storm. Up until the traverse we had someone else’s boot track to follow. Now any old tracks were weathered over.
Ebrus approaching saddleApproaching saddle

We got to the saddle at 8:15 and took a break before the summit push.
Elbrus SaddleSaddle

There are multiple possible lines but we did a climbing traverse to a snow ridge. This was the hardest climbing so far. After gaining the snow ridge the slope eased considerably.
Elbrus false summitFalse Summit

The final summit bump steepened again but the top was so close I didn’t mind it. At 9:58 am we arrived on top of Europe!
Elbrus SummitClimbing bear Snowball on summit

We only spent 10 minutes on top taking the obligatory pictures. There was light snow and land below us was covered in cloud. We could see across to the East summit but not far below the saddle. Yuri was concerned about the weather and also confessed to having a head ache so it was time to go.
Elbrus Summit RockSummit Rock

We got back down to above the helicopter by noon. The weather was holding and we were below the most serious parts of the route. At 12:30 we were down below Lenz Rocks and back to high camp at 1:30 pm.
Elbrus Return from Summitreturn from summit

Since we were back early we stayed with our plan to pack down to base camp that day. After resting, eating and talking to the other group, we got going in a light snow at 3:30. With no porter I wore my double boots and packed everything else. Fortunately there were tents, food & fuel at base camp.
Elbrus return to base campreturn to base camp

As we descended toward the Aerodrome the snow turned to rain. The rain increased in intensity. Sometimes it would let up, but it would never stop. I should have packed my large plastic poncho that covers both me and my pack. Below the Aerodrome it started getting stressful. It was a challenge to stay in control through the steep spots which now had slick mud. In several places we went off the trail for better footing. One must not forget if you get hurt in a spot like that it will be a really bad situation.

We got back to base camp at 6:30 pm and pitched our tents in the rain. Yuri spoke to some of the other guides and learned no vehicles had made it to base camp for three days because of rain. A group from the Netherlands told us they had to hike the last part of the road because the driver wouldn’t chance it.

We were concerned about our ride the next day. If the ride didn’t happen we would miss our flight back to Moscow on Friday. We were also dreading the heavy packs if we had to hike part of the road. Yuri told us he didn’t have the phone number for the driver, Sergy did. Yuri announced he was going to hike back up to high camp to get the number!

So there we were, in a leaky tent, soaked to the skin, scratching around to come up with a single layer of dry clothes to put on, shivering from the cold and wet, and not knowing if would get out of there the next day! I felt much better on the summit just hours earlier!

Thursday June 16.
It was not raining in the morning! The sun was out! We had our clothes hanging all over drying them out. Yuri returned from high camp. We were talking with newly arrived climbers with other companies. Dorthe gave away a couple items to a gentleman from Ireland who’s bags didn’t arrive on the plane. Then we saw a familiar looking vehicle arriving in the distance. We couldn’t be sure since there are several of that model 4WD traveling these rough roads. But it was our driver. And he presented me with a large (about 1.5l) bottle of beer. It was still morning, but we each had a glass. I had a few glasses! It helped for the ride back out that rough road.
Elbrus from North Base Campmorning at base camp

After the mountain we spent the next week touring Moscow and St Petersburg.
Elbrus East SummitEast summit from above saddle

GPS Points
UTM 38 T WGS 84
Easting Northing Feet Meters

Base Camp Tent 0298603 4811523 8441 2573
Etr1 0297160 4809704 9462 2884
Etr2 0296386 4808609 10970 3344
Etr3 0296294 4808556 11110 3386
Etr4 0296210 4808301 11298 3444
Etr5 0295853 4807205 12144 3701
Etr6 0295812 4807156 12231 3728

High Camp 0295726 4807065 12301 3749
High Camp Hut 0295697 4806994 12312 3753

Etr7 0295356 4805994 13290 4051
Lower Rock 0294855 4805310 14491 4417

Lenz Rocks 0294708 4804966 14958 4559
Rocks2 0294486 4803982 16302 4969
Helicopter 0294607 4804368 15853 4832
Etr8 0294200 4803564 17020 5188
Intersection 0294062 4803469 17194 5241
Top Rocks 0293971 4803412 17359 5291
Saddle 0293126 4803032 17619 5370
Elbrus 0292362 4803154 18499 5639
Elbrus north route traversetraverse on return

Summit Day Clothes
La Sportiva Nupste double boots
wool socks, synthetic socks
Gortex Pants
2 fleece pants
poly pro long johns
Gortex Jacket - removed at saddle
wind stopper fleece jacket
insulator fleece jacket
fleece undershirt
poly pro undershirt
Gortex hat - switched to baseball hat
Fleece neck gator
Gortex mitts
2 pair fleece mitts
Had down jacket, neck gator for face, extra hat & gloves in reserve
Used hand warmers on my water bottles - didn’t use for hands.

Map
For a map I just received this one from climbing-map.com. It is 1:50,000 with a UTM grid on WGS84 and shows the north as well as the south side. I would love to have had it for the mountain but it has just been released.
http://www.climbing-map.com/en/maps/elbrus.html

Notes on the high camp.
High Camp was spread over a couple locations. We could see some huts several hundred meters away that we never visited. These appeared to accommodate larger parties. It’s possible the company you book with could arrange for you to stay there. The hut we stayed in belonged to the rescue service. They weren’t there yet but one of our guides was able to get permission to use it. These would normally be unavailable. Tents were pitched where ever they could find a level spot. Also there was at least one sturdy tent of the type you see in the base camp photo. The base camp sturdy tents were the company 5642.ru who I link for the online map.
Elbrus North High Camp HutsHigh Camp Huts


Moscow, St Petersburg, Min Vody Flights
For all our Russia arrangements not handled by Elbrus Tours we used VisitRussia.com
http://www.visitrussia.com/
They have a toll free number in New York and offices in Moscow & St Petersburg. After the mountain we toured Moscow for 2 days and then took the overnight train to St Petersburg where we toured for 4 days. VisitRussia arranged custom tours for my wife & I, all hotels, transfers and the train to St Petersburg. They also arranged the plane tickets from Moscow to Min Vody and the hotel for the night before heading to Min Vody. Everything they do is custom so they were happy to arrange around our mountain including making sure the airport transfer vehicles could handle our big duffle bags. We had the same guide for each tour in Moscow and also in St Petersburg. We paid in advance by credit card.

Elbrus-Tours – also known as Over the Rainbow
We were happy with how things came together. Anastasia was our point of contact. She was able to work with our itinerary and put the arrangements together. We realized everything would have to fall in place just right to have a chance for the summit. Elbrus-tours gave us that chance.
Elbrus Summit ShotSummit Shot!

It helped that we went into this trip with significant mountain back packing and foreign experience. We live where we can hike above 4000m on the weekends. Winter climbs allow us to test ourselves and our gear in adverse conditions but less committing situations. I wouldn’t recommend this trip for those with little or no experience. Yes your guide can look out for you, but there are so many little things best experienced in stages on less challenging mountains.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jul 7, 2011 7:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice work and congrats

I enjoyed this trip report - and congrats on your ascent! -Sarah

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 7, 2011 8:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

I wasn't able to find a lot on the northern route prior to leaving so I hope the report will provide useful information. We didn't know if we would even get to the mountain, so getting the summit was a bonus!

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 16, 2011 6:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done

Thanks

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Jul 10, 2011 6:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Just right!

Congratualtions on the summit, and congratulations on an overall successful trip. I did Elbrus South Route two summers ago and could identify with some of your "kinks" as I read about them. One of our kinks was the breakdown of the ski area gondola system! But we, too, were fortunate and were able to circumvent total frustration and complete the climb in supposedly the worst weather our guide had ever encountered. :) You had a nice mix of succinct commentary and pictures in your report.

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 16, 2011 6:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Just right!

Thanks. One of the challenges of foreign travel is dealing with the surprises.

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Jul 10, 2011 11:11 pm - Voted 10/10

!

Congrats, well done!

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 16, 2011 6:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: !

Thanks

markhallam

markhallam - Jul 10, 2011 11:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Congratulations!

A great ascent carried out under somewhat adverse conditions. I didn't know Elbrus could be such a mud-bath. Interesting to go up the less frequented side as well. Enjoyed reading your account - thanks.

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 16, 2011 6:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations!

I knew mud could be a reality for the road. I wasn’t anticipating it being as much of an issue for the hike above base camp.

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 11, 2011 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

North verses South

When I described the north route as being harder than the south, I was not referring to any technical challenges up high. On summit day I considered the hardest stretch of climbing to be above the saddle where the routes have joined up.

It’s when you add up the whole package, the north is harder.

I haven’t done the south, so I’m depending on other’s reports.

On the southern route you drive a paved road to a ski town at the base of the mountain where you stay in a hotel. There is a ski lift for you and your stuff up to the Barrows Huts. At these huts there is a separate hut for cooking and eating. The huts are roughly the same elevation as high camp on the north side. Summit day can be shortened considerably with a snow cat ride.

There is no guarantee on the ski lift, the snow cat or weather. Both the north and south have significant crevasse risk for those who get off route. Either side could turn into an ordeal.

It’s just that with the north route, you know you will be starting and returning to a lower elevation without mechanical support. And you will be starting from a remote valley far from the nearest town. That’s more of a logistical and physical challenge for you and the company you book with.

Elbrus is not my first high mountain or glacier climb, so there was never any time I felt uncomfortable high on the mountain. Between base camp and the Aerodrome there were spots I didn’t like. How much I feel exposure has everything to do with how stable I feel. My pack up to high camp weighed over 1/3 of my body weight. There was mud and wet rocks. That’s not a good combination where footing is critical.

harbor

harbor - Jul 12, 2011 4:07 am - Hasn't voted

Nice report

Enjoyed the report.

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 16, 2011 6:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice report

Thanks

time2fly - Jul 14, 2011 12:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Need guide?

Enjoyed the report. Congratulation on the climb.

Q1: is it possible to do the climb without a guide, i.e by hiring a driver and porter only? I find the cost of EUR 900 a little high.

Q2: is the southern route really still closed? I can find this info only on the elbrustours webpage. Maybe they forgot to update their page, or want the climbers to go via north route. Wo can I call to confirm?

regards,
Henning from Munich

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 14, 2011 3:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Need guide?

There is no requirement to be guided. I suggest checking with Elbrus Tours or Pilgrim Tours about less supported packages. Also part of the mix is the Russian Visa requirements.

http://www.pilgrim-tours.com/index.shtml

http://pilgrim-tours.com/forum//phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=9ffe65316d6b546557f29f2c9b3c34ae

Pilgrim Tours have been mentioned in several trip reports here and elsewhere on the web. Their website has an information page (Local area news) with updates on the situation. They have also cancelled their south side tours.

This Elbrus Facebook page has info:
http://www.facebook.com/ElbrusRace

I’m pretty sure this isn’t being made up to sell north side tours. The whole situation has been a negative impact on the guiding companies and others who depend on tourism for their income.

JFKunst - Jul 16, 2011 12:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Guide

MHCO,

Great post! Very nice to have all this information. I also have two questions;

(i) Do you know the family name of your guide Serge? We (my wife and i) are also planning to climb Elbrus and the guide we have booked is also named Serge (i understand this is a common Russian name).

(ii) Did you experience any sense of anti-tourist / anti-westerner behaviour? Or in other words; Did you feel safe?

Thanks a bunch!

JF

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 16, 2011 6:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Guide

Sorry, I don’t know Sergy’s family name. Just that he lives in Kislovodsk.

We didn’t feel any anti western behavior. We were only in Kislovodsk for a short time before and after the mountain. So we didn’t have a lot of independent interaction with the local people.

In Russia most people we dealt with directly were friendly. However if someone was on the other side of a counter, and they were old enough to have been an adult under the Soviet Union, they didn’t seem as used to smiling as the younger people.

Nas

Nas - Jul 19, 2011 2:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Guide

Family name of that Sergy was Onyfry. He is also known as Youzhik :D

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jul 16, 2011 2:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Congrats!

Congratulations again on a successful summit during challenging circumstances! I enjoyed reading your trip report.

MountainHikerCO

MountainHikerCO - Jul 16, 2011 6:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats!

Thanks

Viewing: 1-19 of 19