Elderberry Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.33900°N / 118.655°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive north from Line Street in Bishop for 10.7 miles to the Pine Creek turnoff. Exit to the left, and drive up the alluvial slope until you reach Rovana. At Rovana, the mine worker's housing, turn left onto a dirt road, and follow this road south for about a half-mile to a junction, and continue south. The dirt road climbs, deteriorates, and ends at the Elderberry Canyon trailhead. A high-clearance vehicle is not necessary, I drove my 2WD Nissan pickup up there easily.

Route Description


From the end of the road, follow a faint, unmaintained trail up the canyon. In the spring, there will be a stream in the canyon, and it must be crossed, with the requisite bushwhacking through the undergrowth. The trail, once used to service the now-abandoned Lambert Mine at the head of the canyon, is often difficult to find. If in doubt, continue up the canyon by the easiest means. You may leave the canyon anywhere once the North Ridge becomes visible. I ascended the white sand/rock/talus rib just before reaching the mine. After gaining the crest of the ridge, continue up over many false summits to the real summit. On the descent, I talus-surfed down a chute directly above the abandoned mine relics, and from there reversed the ascent route.

Essential Gear


In the early spring, crampons and an ice ax may be necessary to gain the North Ridge, and onward from there to the summit. It is very possible though, that you would be able to find exposed ground on which to walk. Once the snow melts out, carry LOTS of water.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount TomRoutes