Liberty Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.22679°S / 16.87875°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: 4500' 40-65 Degree Snow M1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route follows a prominent and aesthetic snow couloir that sweeps back and forth across the southeast face of Mount Tom.

Getting There

Park at the Horton Lakes trailhead. Follow the Horton Lakes trail for approximately half a mile, then bushwhack north to the base of the col.

Route Description

From Horton Lakes Trailhead, follow the trail until the crossing at Horton Creek. Head north along the creek, bushwhacking until the entrance of the col can be seen. Head up the col until the start of the snow. Follow the most obvious line, and avoid the bowl on the right. The slope gradually steepens from 30 degrees to 65 degrees, before depositing you on a rock band (snowfall dependent) just below the summit. Climb through the rock band, being cautious of loose rock, until the summit is reached. Descend off the backside using the Horton Lakes trail.

Essential Gear

Crampons, ice tools

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount TomRoutes