Elephant Head: Hikers Route with Chino Canyon Variation

Elephant Head: Hikers Route with Chino Canyon Variation

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

A stroll through the high desert finished with a heavenly scramble

This photo collection documents a delightful day outting to the rocky summit of Elephant Head via the Hikers Route. The Hikers Route treats the visitor first to trails winding through diverse desert flora. The Direct Route variation draws the hiker into Chino Canyon where a small desert stream gurgles and tadpools frolick. After crawling back out of the canyon to the saddle, the hiker can feast the eyes upon a good half-hour of fun, solid scrambling with non-stop views.

The route from the saddle is well-worn and cairned, providing easy route finding for the astute hiker. The route is mostly a mix of Class 2 route-finding and Class 3 scrambling, though a final small wall just below the summit presents a short but sweet Class 4 challenge.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 15, 2009 7:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Perfect choice ...

While everybody else was indoors eating chocolates, or away on a
wild and crazy ski weekend, you were out enjoying Elephant Head???

Looks like the weather cooperated. You can't always trust the
weather in southern Arizona. Outstanding pictures!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Feb 19, 2009 5:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perfect choice ...

You betcha! We visit my folks in Green Valley every year this time of year. Elephant Head is just a skip and a jump from their townhome! -Sarah

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Feb 20, 2009 4:11 am - Hasn't voted

Nice!

Glad to see the elephants are still on the summit... that's one of my favorite climbs in the Tucson area. If you haven't already, the west face is a lot of fun (though a routefinding maze) as well!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Feb 20, 2009 10:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Thanks for the comment! We visit my parents in Green Valley each year and really, really enjoy the hiking in the Tucson area. In another 30 years (oy!) maybe we can spend six months in Colorado Springs and six months in Tucson. ;)

Cheers!

Sarah

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.