Escalante Canyon Rock Climbing

Escalante Canyon Rock Climbing

Page Type Page Type: Album

Overview

Rock formation
Escalante Canyon, an off-the-beaten-track Colorado version of Indian Creek Canyon, is a deep canyon lined with Wingate sandstone walls that drains northeast from the top of the Uncompahgre Plateau to the Gunnison River between Grand Junction and Delta.
Escalante Creek, a perennial stream draining eastward to the Gunnison River, carved the broad sandstone canyon, which reaches depths of 1,300 feet from rim to creek.
This canyon is named for Fray Silvestre Velez de Escalante, who along with fellow Spanish priest Fray Francisco Dominguez explored east of the canyon in 1776 while searching for a practical overland route from Santa Fe to the new missions in California. In 1875 Hayden Survey geologists named Escalante Canyon and Dominguez Canyon just to the north in honor of the pioneering padres.

Lately, Escalante is becoming very popular climbing destination. Climbing at Escalante is similar to climbing at Indian Creek in Utah. Expect steep, sustained crack climbing on Wingate sandstone.

The canyon is a mix of both Bureau of Land Management (BLM) public land and private property. Most of the land along the canyon floor from Gunnison River bridge to the Captain Smith cabin is a private ranch property. The canyon sides are BLM land.

This was my first trip to Escalante. I went with a group of climbers from Ouray, all excellent climbers (except me:). We set up ropes on a few routes, and took turns trying our best. It was so much fun to climb with friends.

Climbs we played on:

Rusty's Cave 5.10

Fun on Rusty s Cave 5.10Angela
Rusty s Cave 5.10Jim leading
Rusty s Cave 5.10 againMichael
Rusty s Cave 5.10Me looking down


Willie's Hand Jive 5.10+/5.11

Willie s Hand Jive 5.10+Jim leading
Willie s Hand Jive 5.10+/5.11+George leading
Good belayAngela
Willie s Hand Jive 5.10+/5.11Michael clean up
Rappel from Willie s Hand JiveJim rappel


S-Crack 5.11+

S crackKevin
Napping belayerGeorge
Start of S-crackDarrin
Detail of S Crack  5.11+Kevin again
S crack 5.11+ behind the cornerCabin Wall


TH 5.8

T.H. 5.8me
TH 5.8 - startMichael leading
Cabin Wall Cabin Wall
T.H. 5.8Checking out the climb

External Links

Mountain Project
Info on Escalante and Dominguez canyons


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Nov 23, 2010 8:58 am - Voted 10/10

hi

Nice pictures Liba!

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Nov 23, 2010 9:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: hi

Thank you Senad.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.