Exploring Quebrada Ishinca

Exploring Quebrada Ishinca

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Hiking, Flora, Scenery, Panorama

Skipping acclimatization

A few days earlier, Jaymie had sent me a message. He wished to climb Urus, Ishinca and Tocclaraju, two easy and one not so easy mountain in the popular Ishinca valley.

He wanted to make the most of his time in Peru, and so we decided to head out the day after his arrival. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but he said he had been active in the mountains in Alaska, so he would already be acclimatized to some degree, so we went out.

Preparations

On the first day, we hiked to the refugio.
Ishinca refugeIshinca refuge


The second day we climbed Urus Este.

As all was going well, so we skipped Ishinca and went to Tocclaraju high camp one day earlier than planned. Although lower than Urus Este, the altitude finally caught up with Jaymie. Nothing serious, but he couldn't do much the next day. He rested in camp, while I went out and explored the route to the NW-ridge which we wanted to climb. It was a glorious day to be up there!

Tocllaraju summit day

Neither of us heard the alarm of my watch, so we woke up much later the next day. Not a problem, as the weather was still beautiful, and starting after sunrise meant it wasn't very cold anymore.

We made good time on our way to the summit, and descended all the way to the refugio the same day. Got there shortly after nightfall. An excellent climb!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Noondueler

Noondueler - Feb 25, 2012 12:02 am - Voted 10/10

Marvelous album!

Thanks for sharing your adventure/awesome shots of these beautiful snow-clad giants. An armchair visit to the "Himalaya" south of the border.

rgg

rgg - Mar 1, 2012 3:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Marvelous album!

Glad you like it :-).
If the armchair gets too comfy, you can always go there in person - I mean, I like watching mountain photos too, but it can't beat the real thing.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2