Quebrada Ishinca Revisited

Quebrada Ishinca Revisited

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Hiking, Flora, Informational, Scenery, Panorama

A return visit

A few weeks earlier, I had been exploring Quebrada Ishinca for the first time, and climbed Urus Este and Tocllaraju in the process.
Urus CentralUrus Central - the summit is on the left

Now I was back to have a go at Urus Central and Ishinca. Of the former, I could find very little information. I didn't know what the true summit was, or what the easiest way up there might be. I eventually learned that the summit was the one on the left, but even afterwards, I haven't been able to find out about the normal route. Well, we went there and failed to make it to the top, but had an epic experience, getting back down in the valley between 3 and 4 at night. I learned a lot that day!

Needless to say, the next day we didn't do anything except resting and eating.

The day after, my climbing partner was still recovering, so I headed out a couple of hours before sunrise to climb Ishinca by myself. It was mostly easy, but there was one memorable deep begschrund, right below the top on the SW side. It wasn't wide, but the other side was steep, so I couldn't simply step over it. I could have used a second ice tool, but since I only brought one for the climb, I used it to fashion a solid handhold in the hard snow on the other side. With the sculpting done, I pulled on the small bollard with my free hand, hacked my ice axe in the slope above and stepped across. After that, it was just a few more meters to the summit.

I descended on the NW slopes, making it a traverse. The descent route was Marginally steeper overall, but still easy, and there was no tricky bergschrund to get across.

One more time perhaps?

Should I find myself in the area again, I would be tempted to go to the Ishinca valley once more, if I find the right partner for it.

First of all, I have some unfinished business on Urus Central, although I would like to find out what the normal route is when I try again. In addition, I've read that Urus Oeste isn't a difficult climb, and looking at my pictures it appears to be quite easy from the saddle with Central, so that can serve as an acclimatization peak too. And, finally, perhaps have a go at the likes of Ranrapalca or Palcaraju?


Alpenglow
Alpenglow on Tocllaraju


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
markhallam

markhallam - Nov 3, 2012 2:00 am - Voted 10/10

Great Album

Enjoyed looking at these - especially the big alpenglow one - that stitching thing is something I must learn sometime!
bw
Mark

rgg

rgg - Nov 3, 2012 6:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Album

There are lots of stitching tools out there. For a couple of years now, I've been using the Microsoft Image Composite Editor, or ICE.

The operation is very simple. All you have to do is drag and drop a selection of images to it and the software will figure it out. There are more options, but usually I'm happy with the automatic result.

After the stitching, you can reduce the result in size and crop it in ICE too before saving it, or use any other program for that afterwards. It can be downloaded for free. Just google "Download Microsoft ICE" or something to that effect.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2