Fisher Chimneys

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.83140°N / 121.6015°W
Additional Information Route Type: Snow/Glacier/Rock scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate glacier
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start from the Lake Anne trailhead at the Mt. Baker Ski resort. Descend approximately 800 feet to the valley below. Traverse the valley and ascend the opposite side to Lake Anne. Pass Lake Anne and descend slightly toward the Curtis Glacier. At the trail's end, ascend a stream bed for a few feet. Ascend heather slopes to a broad bench. This bench is not visible from Lake Anne.


Route Description


Cross the bench on snow/scree to the base of the Chimney. This is a well-traveled route, so navigation should not be a problem. Ascend the Chimneys on class 3 rock (or steep snow in early season) for about 800 feet. There is a great camp site with fantastic views of the North Cascades and Mt Baker at the top of the Chimneys. This camp site sits at the base of Winnie's Slide.

From the top of the Chimneys, ascend Winnies Slide on steep snow. Cross the Upper Curtis Glacier toward Hell's Highway, the steep exit ramp on the far side.

From the top of Hell's Highway, bear North to the summit pyramid. We ascended an icy gulley on the center of the pyramid's face. Word is that one can scramble the rock on either side of the gulley.

Our times were:

6 hrs from car to the top of the chimneys
3.5 hrs to the summit from the top of the chimneys
3 hrs back to camp
5 hrs from camp to car

Essential Gear


Rope, crampons, ice axe

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm - Voted 4/10

Bad Page

Either the USGS maps are labelled wrong or your directions are totally screwed up. No mention of the White Salmon Glacier? Winnies Slide is shown on the north face on USGS maps, but on route according to the Beckey guide. A good page would clarify these details.

mrjenks85

mrjenks85 - Apr 5, 2016 11:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bad Page

The USGS Maps are wrong about location of the Fisher Chimney, Winnies Slide and Hell's highway. The label for Fisher Chimney is well to the West of where it actually is, the Winnies slide is labeled in the location of the Hanging glacier, and the Hell's Highway is mislabeled the Hourglass (The Hourglass is more to the North somewhere in the cliff band). Hope this helps future climbers.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.