Flora and fauna of Retezat Mountains

Flora and fauna of Retezat Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Wildlife, Flora

Overview


The flora and fauna of Retezat is very rich. Thankfully, protection of this area is strong, it is a National Park and also a UNESCO MAB reserve.

The mountains are home to more than 1100 plant species (including Edelweiss, several species of Gentians, Rhododendron kotschyi, Doronicum carpaticum, Dianthus glacialis, etc.), at least 62 of them being endemic (Rubus retezaticus, Trifolium retezaticum, Festuca pacyphylla, Hieracium borzae and nigrilacus, just to name a few).

Retezat is inhabited by chamois, wolves, lynx, bears, otters and marmots (re-introduced in the seventies), several species of birds of prey, reptiles like salamanders and vipers (Vipera berus and Cerastes cornutus). Trouts are common in lakes and creeks.




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Frankieparley - Feb 23, 2012 1:44 am - Hasn't voted

When?

Hi Peter, superb photographs! We are planning a trip this summer to the Retezat Mountains to see the flowers. Do you know what time is best for this? We were hoping that late June would be OK - but would that be a bit to late? Thanks a lot. Francis.

peterbud

peterbud - Feb 26, 2012 4:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: When?

Thanks. Late June has good chances. Of course, different species flower with different timing. My photos come with a date under the description, that may give further orientation.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.