Fool Creek Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
aobbard

aobbard - May 31, 2020 7:39 am Date Climbed: May 30, 2020

Great views, great trail  Sucess!

Views are outstanding. Couldn't believe I'd driven past/under this one for 20+ years without climbing it. Couple notes:

There's a great trail the whole way- initially an ATV track, then a pack trail. After the saddle it's more of a use trail, but very clear. The trail means that it's way, way easier & faster than similar elevation peaks in the area (such as Black Crook.)

I knew the range had burned, but was surprised how extensively- like almost EVERYWHERE in the range. On the plus side, this means great views. On the downside, zero shade. If hiking in summer, start early so that the canyon portion is shaded.

I was surprised how popular this area is. This peak gets climbed all the time, and on a summer weekend Oak Creek Canyon is very busy with RVs, ATVs, etc. Nice area, but don't expect solitude.

kteichert

kteichert - Jan 7, 2018 12:24 am Date Climbed: Jan 6, 2018

Blustery day  Sucess!

Woke up with the intent of summitting, something, today. It was snowy up north and I noticed there was no precipitation falling near Delta, so I picked Fool Creek Peak. Upon arrival in Oak City, the tops of the mountains were covered with clouds, but it was clear to the west. So I drove up Oak Creek Canyon, past Plantation Flat - which was gorgeous - and started hiking from Little Creek. I made it up fairly quickly, with navigation help from my dog, Niko. We made our way around many of the cliffs and ledges on the south side of Fool Creek Peak. About 300’ below the summit, the clouds began to drop and the snow began to fly. Upon reaching the summit ridge, we were in almost a complete white out. I got to the triangulation tower in 1 hour, 23 minutes from the car, and 3.23 miles, according to my Garmin Vivoactive HR. Took a couple photos of the tower and cliff edge that makes up the east side of the Peak, and then got out of there. Going down was very difficult, as I couldn’t see further than 50 feet ahead. I definitely did not come down the same way I had gone up. But it is a beautiful area, geologically speaking.

Udink

Udink - Aug 16, 2016 1:58 pm Date Climbed: Aug 5, 2016

Fool Creek Peak  Sucess!

Such a cool peak, and my first summit in this part of Utah. I found that there are two trails leading up to the west ridge of Fool Creek Peak--I hiked one trail up and the other down. I wrote up a trip report, which includes links to my GPS track at the bottom: http://www.summitpost.org/fool-creek-peak/979922

utahjimk

utahjimk - Jul 2, 2016 10:43 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2016

North Walker Canyon route  Sucess!

much of range is devastated by wildfire - coniferous forest (and shade) is patchy. I lost trail going up, but found it OK coming down. It is really getting overgrown with scrub oak! Well worth it though. Camped at Plantation Flat camp area - a nice area of larger ponderosa pine ~ 1/2 mile up canyon from N Walker TH. Ascent #2 on 1 April 2023 with Wasatch Mountain Club (same route, but starting from locked gate at Oak Creek campground).

scgrant

scgrant - Nov 29, 2013 8:41 pm Date Climbed: Nov 29, 2013

Fool Creek Peak  Sucess!

11/29/2013 I did Fool Creek Peak by way of the standard North Walker Canyon route. Oak Creek Canyon was gated shut at the bottom making for an additional 3 miles hiking each direction just to get to North Walker Canyon. I had an attempt of this peak cut short earlier in the month due to a pretty good snow storm, so it was nice to take advantage of this unseasonably warm and dry weather. I also made the side trip to Buck Peak from the saddle between the two. Well worth doing Buck, fun little scramble, great views looking east towards Fool Creek Peak, and only added just over an hour to my hike time. With the road gated off at the base of the canyon and the little diversion to Buck Peak my round trip hiking distance was 16.5 miles and just over 5000 feet of elevation gain.

PrinceOfNorway

PrinceOfNorway - Apr 1, 2012 11:17 pm Date Climbed: Apr 1, 2012

Into the storm  Sucess!

Me and a buddy climbed this on April Fool's Day just as it was starting to storm. The road was closed so we had to tack on an additional 4 miles to our round trip. It was probably 0 to 10 degrees on top with fierce wind chill considered. There were a few inches of new snow on the car when we got back. Super fun!

weeds19

weeds19 - Sep 24, 2011 12:20 am Date Climbed: Sep 22, 2011

Huge Views  Sucess!

Came up North Walker and enjoyed a spectacular day on the summit. The elevation gain seemed to fly by on this peak, and the summit was an ideal spot for lounging around.

Tracy

Tracy - Aug 15, 2009 1:22 am Date Climbed: Aug 14, 2009

North Walker Canyon Rt.  Sucess!

Beautiful Day and I thought I kept thinking I'd run into the other party parked at the bottom of North Walker Canyon. The only signs of them were their footprints and their signatures in the summit register. Never saw the three individuals however.

The outing was not bad for an impulse hike on my way north to Provo - 3 hrs., 10 mins. up and down (in Chaco sandals).

byates

byates - Dec 1, 2008 1:20 pm Date Climbed: Nov 1, 1999

Two routes  Sucess!

I've climbed it twice to date, the November trip was from North Williams on a very warm day, Did a WMC April's fool trip in 2005, We needed snow shoe's for most of route.

Kadee

Kadee - Nov 26, 2008 2:22 pm Date Climbed: May 13, 2006

North Walker Canyon  Sucess!

Great hike. Very good views from the summit. The top was a little chilly with a breeze. The cliff on the east face is very cool.

Bombchaser

Bombchaser - Oct 12, 2008 7:25 pm Date Climbed: Oct 12, 2008

Southwest Ridge Approach  Sucess!

The ridge starts near the mouth of the Walker Canyon on the east side, and climbs very quickly. This was a very difficult and at times dangerous, and technical climb. There are many boulders and cliff faces to negotiate. There is even a couloir that I had to haul my pack up using a rope after I reached the top of it. There are areas of dense vegetation as well. This route took about six hours to reach summit and then descend using the North Walker Canyon Trail. I would only try this route if you are an accomplished hiker on difficult terrian, or a climber. You will be using your hands a lot!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 12, 2005 11:44 pm Date Climbed: Nov 12, 2005

Route Climbed: North Walker Canyon Date Climbed: November 12, 2005  Sucess!

I had driven past this peak so many times and decided it was time to climb it. I hoped that the latest storm didn't put too much new snow up there. The trail started out as a road and then gradually turned into a trail. When I got to the saddle it was windy and cold. The summit was a lot farther away than it looked. But the clouds eventually went away and the weather was good. I could even see Swasey and Notch Peak in the House Range. The cliff down the east face was awesome.

craghag

craghag - Jun 6, 2005 10:55 am

Route Climbed: North Walker Canyon Date Climbed: April 23, 2005  Sucess!

Mellow meadows and a few challenging stream crossings!

Scott

Scott - Apr 25, 2005 12:49 pm

Route Climbed: North Walker/West Ridge, also via South Ridge and box canyon routes Date Climbed: A few times. October 1993 was one.

Despite its low elevation, this peak has some of the most extensive views in Utah.

Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - Apr 25, 2005 12:37 pm

Route Climbed: North Walker Canyon Date Climbed: April 23, 2005  Sucess!

Great hike on a beautiful spring day - excellent summit views in all directions.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Fool Creek Peak' main page