Forest Trail 62

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.60400°N / 110.624°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the Middle Piney Lake Campground at 8,880', start heading west along Forest Trail 62. You can see the summit of Wyoming Peak in the distance. The trail follows the south shore of the lake, and there are a few up-and-down sections through here. The trail then enters a grassy low-lying area just west of lake, and parallels Middle Piney Creek for awhile. After about a mile and a half of hiking, the trail finally starts climbing. You'll pass by Wohelo Falls in this area.

Continue climbing up through the scenic country. At 10,000', you will get to the junction with the Wyoming Range National Recreation Trail. Turn right on the trail, and start heading up the grassy slope. Continue up the trail about one mile until you reach a prominent saddle at 10,400'. Wyoming Peak is less than a half-mile to the southwest from here, but almost 1,000' above you. At this point, the trail starts descending into a grassy bowl as it continues north. This is where you leave the trail. The topo map shows a trail heading west from here, but we didn't see it.

Turn left and start a climbing traverse across the rocky scree slopes on the north side of Wyoming Peak. This traverse isn't easy. It was steep and loose in places. The ground begins to moderate as you approach the northwest slopes of the mountain. Once you reach the northwest slopes, make the final push to the summit, where you can enjoy the views.

Hiking Distance: About 10 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 2,600'.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.