Forsida (The Outside Route)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 68.24620°N / 14.58060°E
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: TD inf., UIAA VI-
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.10a (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 5
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Forsida (The Outside route)

 

Forsida is one of the most classic routes of Lofoten, a pleasant stunning climb on excellent rock and above all a good way to acquire confidence with the climb on the Lofoten granite. Notwithstanding it’s not a very long route, Forsida is the longest way to reach the Svolvær Geita bicuspidate summit and probably the best one. The “goat of Svolvær” – this is the mean of its name - overlooks the town of Svolvær throwing into the sky two gigantic horns, the Storhorn (The Big Horn) on the left-hand side and the Lillehorn (The Little Horn) on the right-hand side.

Svolvaer Geita - On the top of Big Horn
Svolvaer Geita - On the top of Big Horn

 

As the majority of the routes on Svolvær Geita, Forsida allows to summit the Big Horn. Climbers are used to do a long jump from Big Horn to Little Horn; after the 2008 rock-fall from Lillehorn inner edge - increasing the distance between the two horns - now the traditional jump from the big horn to the little one is still possible, but not much recommended because…the gap is wider and the landing space smaller!  

Svolvær Geita summit view over the island of Austvagøy, Lofoten
Svolvaer Geita summit view over the island of Austvagoy

Getting There

Getting to Lofoten

There are various possibilities:

- By ferry boat from Skutvik to Svolvær
- By car from Evenes Airport to Svolvær
- By plane from Bodø
- By ferry boat from Bodø to Moskenes, Værøy or Røst (Southern Lofoten)

The closest town to Svolvær Geita is Svolvær.

Summit view over the islands and Norway mainland in the background

Summit view over the islands and Norway mainland in the background

Road approach to Svolvær Geita

From Svolvær roundabout turn to left (road-sign E10-Fiskebøl) and follow Kong’s Olav Veg (E10) for 1100 mt., then leave the E10 and turn to left (road-sign Melkerdalen – Nybyen). Turn to right reaching a Kinderngarten. Parking.

 

Oh what a gift, after a week of climb we can see three reindeers
Rorbuers and reindeers
After a week of climbs finally we can see the reindeer
A denizen of Lofoten
A party looking at the town before starting the climb
Before starting the climb

 

And finally a restful and soft pillow of Lofoten' muss
A soft moss...

Walking to Svolvær Geita

Take the road towards the church graveyard and at once a path signed Sti Track is starting on your left-hand side. The path is marked with a red T (DNT – Den Norske Touristforening signals). After a slab equipped with an iron chain, follow the steep trail to a shoulder when The Goat appears. At a path-forking don’t follow the main path but leave it, turning to right, cross a stream and cut diagonally a steep grassy slope, reaching Forsida starting point. (40 minutes from the road).

Svolvaer Geita
Svolvaer Geita

 

Forsida (The Outside Route) report

 

Forsida The diagonal cracks
Forsida The diagonal cracks
Svolvaer Geita Forsida - Last pitch start (The crux)
Last pitch start (The crux)

 

Forsida (The Outside Route) report - Norwegian Scale

Difficulty: TD inf., 5+ Norwegian
Equipment: not equipped
Climbing length: 130 m
Exposure: W
First ascent: W. Hoyer – A. Krane 1947
First ascent of Vestveggen-Avslutning (The West Wall Finish) B. Bommen – B. Lyche 1928
Starting point: Svolvær Kinderngarten (parking)

Starting point from a little terrace below SW ridge in the Western side of the ridge (little tree).

L1 - Climb a short steep wall with good holds, then follow some little corners and cracks; slantways to left climb a rib or otherwise a groove on the right. Easier rocks lead to a belay a bit higher of an horizontal crack. 3+, 35 mt.
L2 - Slantways to left cross an edge and reach the base of a beautiful steep crack. Belay below the crack. 4, 15 mt.
L3 - Climb the crack with superb moves, then cross a ridge towards right, reaching a huge terrace named “the sofa” and a stance below a steep diagonal cracks’ system. 5, 30 mt.

 

Svolvaer Geita Forsida
Svolvaer Geita Forsida

L4 – Straightly over the belay climb the cracks’ system; most difficult section is the first one, then am easier section leads to the ending thin cracks. Climb these and belay below a small shoulder. 5, 30 mt.
L5 – Reach the shoulder. From here a diagonal crack – it’s The West Wall Finish – leads to the summit of The Big Horn. Climb on the right a shallow corner with a crux start, then follow an easier dihedral-crack and finally a slab, leading to the top. 5+, Norwegian. 20 m. Exciting vertiginous belay. If you wish, cross the gap to the Little Horn, but now the jump is very long...

 

Svolvaer Geita first abseil
Svolvaer Geita first abseil

Descent: with two abseils along North side. A short abseil from the summit leads to a comfortable stance. A 28 mt. abseil reachs a little saddle. From here a grassy gully gets to the route’s starting point.

Essential Gear

Rope 2 x 50, helmet, various side friends and nuts, slings

History

Svolvær Geita first ascent was realized in 1910 by a Norwegian team (Bryn, Schieldrup and Rubenson). This ascent is a milestone in Norwegian climbing history. The same team realized – the following week – the first ascent of Stetind, after sailing along Tjsfjorden to reach the wild peak.

Red Tape

There are not particular restrictions in climbing.

Where to stay

 

And a good hut

Guest-house

In Svolvær and surroundings there is a wide choice of different kinds of accommodations: hotels, campgrounds and the traditional and typical rorbuers, the Norwegian fishermen's cabins, numerous and available in Svolvær, Henningsvær, Kabelvåg. 

In Norway free camping is allowed in every place, if not expressly forbidden.

When to climb

Best months to climb are late May, June, July and August

Climate

 

Midnight sun, Lofoten

Midnight sun

On Lofoten the weather can change suddenly from clear and blu sky with sunshine or the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) to violent storms with rain or snow. Maximum temperatures go from +30°C in June and July to -15°C in January and February; the average temperatures for these months are from +12°C to -3°C. The period with the minimum rainfall goes from April to June, while we may expect the maximum rainfall or snowfall between October and December.

Midnight sun: from 27 May to 17 July Polar night: from 6 December to 6 January

The Northern Lights can be seen over Lofoten from September to April.

Useful info about climate: Meteorologisk Institutt

Meteo

Meteo Svolvær
Meteo Lofoten

Guidebooks and maps

 

Lofoten Rock climbing, scrambling and hiking guidebook
Lofoten Rock
Seasons on Lofoten - Summer photograpy guidebook
Seasons on Lofoten - Summer photograpy guidebook
Seasons on Lofoten - Winter photograpy guidebook
Seasons on Lofoten - Winter photograpy guidebook

 

"Lofoten Rock" by Chris Craggs and Thorbjorn Enevoid

External links

ROCKFAX LOFOTEN GUIDEBOOK

Lofoten map
Lofoten map

LOFOTEN INFO



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.