Viewing: 1-20 of 48
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Feb 6, 2008 1:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Required Reading for your Students

Beautifully expressed piece on the relationship between who you are, your love of the outdoors and what has come of your participation on this site. I'll bet you reflect the sentiments and views of many more people on this site than you realize. You should fit this article into one of your lesson plans!

I like your idea of why "real time" literature is still so important in today's "virtual time" world oriented towards passive forms of entertainment.

Augie

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 6, 2008 7:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Required Reading for your Students

Thank you, Augie. I have spent a long time working on this and still feel I didn't get some parts quite right, but I'm glad it resonates with at least one other person, a person I respect, no less.

lisae

lisae - Feb 6, 2008 7:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Third Child?

Congratulations!!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 6, 2008 7:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Third Child?

Thank you, Lisa! This wasn't exactly planned, but I guess that's life and the price we pay. So come August, this house gets even crazier!

T Sharp

T Sharp - Feb 7, 2008 1:18 am - Voted 10/10

Into the Light

Nice essay Bob! While it is nice to have the skill sets, and confidence to tackle rough terrain solo, I think you just [ever so slightly] touched on one of my favorite dividends of climbing with friends and partners, and that is a fellowship with people who "get it". I have met lots of people in climbing clubs and on the internet, and some I will never climb with again. But a few have turned into life long friends, who only enhance the experience, by casting it in more vivid light. I am hopeful, yet confident that your visit to MT this summer will result in a lasting friendship.
Cheers and Congratulations;
Tim

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 7, 2008 11:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Into the Light

Well, Tim, you know I think you are one of those who "gets it." And I'm sure you know you are one of those unnamed members I mentioned I hope to climb with. I, too, look forward to this summer a great deal, and about the only way I can imagine our not getting along is if you beat me back to the car and raid my beer stash before I can even have a sip!

Thanks for reading and responding.

--Bob

Corax

Corax - Feb 7, 2008 6:01 am - Voted 10/10

Great stuff

Very well written and many interesting passages, strung together in a nice way.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 11, 2008 10:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: OHHHH...........

There is no place like the mountains to find those things. Serenity and peace, yes, and also inspiration and rejuvenation. I always feel younger, stronger, healthier, and happier after a few days in the mountains.

jvarholak

jvarholak - Feb 10, 2008 8:03 pm - Voted 10/10

dead solid perfect

You always seem to be able to put into the written word what my mind thinks and my mouth struggles with. A very enjoyable, well structured, right on target read. We all are drawn to the mountains for our own reasons...finding those with similar passions and, frankly, turning others on to our motivations and learning of their's let's, me for one, know that I am certainly not "alone"...even when I am physically.....thoughts of others when I am alone on some remote, rarely trodden summit makes my experience that much more rewarding....."Bob (insert any other name) would love it here!"
Thanks for the article and hope to see you soon.
john

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 11, 2008 10:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: dead solid perfect

Thanks, John. I'm sure you caught the reference to yourself in the first section.

It's getting close to the time that we'd better get snow soon if we're going to get any more this winter. I'd like to get out to Buck Ridge and Buck Hollow soon, but I'm hoping we'll get some of that white stuff to make the stream really pretty.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 12, 2008 1:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Thanks, Fred, for both. Take care of yourself, as I understand you and Tim have to get us up Canyon Peak this summer. I am really looking forward to the trip.

radson

radson - Feb 12, 2008 12:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Well written

I have just skimmed your article for now but will read more closely later. I can already see I like your style of writing, your candour and intelligence. Thanks for sharing.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 12, 2008 1:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well written

Thank you. I just hope the article lives up to your initial impression! Thanks for checking it out.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Feb 13, 2008 12:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice read

thanks for posting it. What do you think about this site being, primarily, a way to share your tales and pictures with your own friends and family, and only to a secondary extent a medium to share the beta with the few potentially interested strangers?

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 13, 2008 2:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice read

Thank you. I like your idea, and have actually done that a little bit. I know another member who posts his trip reports primarily for friends and family. I think my brothers have enjoyed seeing trip reports that involved them. My mother almost fainted when she read the story about almost losing my youngest brother, though! And my wife, well, has about had it with this site!

I actually got back in touch with an old friend through this site; she Googled me and found me here and looked at many of my pictures and trip reports. And a student of mine found my pages here the same way (a good reason to watch what I say on this site).

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Feb 13, 2008 2:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: a good reason to watch

or even when you do it. Right. I've actually been through this back when I lived in your area, and blithely used my real name online. Ended up loosing my job and immigration status, and moving to Utah, which I imagined, back then, as a parched-brown land of hillocks overrun by the armed-and-dangerous cultists-survivalists. The reality turned out to be different of course LOL; a thick silver lining in that cloud, no question.

But a decade+ later, I still keep my online identities separate. If it is a social network site using my real name and bio, then my profile there has gotta be devoid of any controversy, period.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Feb 14, 2008 11:16 am - Voted 10/10

Re: zealots of various sorts

The most dangerous sort of zealots you find of course online... the ones prepared to cross cyberspace boundaries to hammer their point!

Otherwise the major difference between a large, old cult like we have in Utah, and splintered, grassroots evangelists over on the East coast is in the level of subordination. Mormon Church cares about economy, education, tourism, all sorts of things which require a good degree of control over the extreme fringe. On the other hand, the uncontrolled fringe of more traditional Christianity on your coast may act outrageously, but their very disorganized nature limits their political power.

The worst I had with the local culture in Utah was coming under automatic gunfire in the Western Desert one Memorial Day weekend. When they ran out of ammo and I summoned enough courage to ask them not to shoot in the direction of my route, they profusely apologized. Said that they were shooting away from the TH, and the bullets whizzing above me were not from machineguns but from their kids shooting cans while the grownups were busy. The line between dangerous and weird, huh?

Hey, if you are out here, please drop in!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 15, 2008 10:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: zealots of various sorts

Thank you for the invitation. I would like to do that. I love the Wasatch and wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of the Uintas.

My wife and I will be in Zion for three nights (March 23, 24, 25). It seems you're up in the SLC area or close to it, but if time, work schedule, and interest allow it, then keep in mind that you know someone who's planning to try a hike/scramble up one of the peaks along the East Entrance Road (maybe Checkerboard Mesa, maybe some unnamed formation) and wouldn't mind some company.

But otherwise, it's definitly in my plans to get back out to the Wasatch/Bear River Range area one of these days, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Feb 15, 2008 1:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Utah meet

Oh, I'd love to join for East Zion, but the timing isn't right. Flying back from Israel on the 24th and then gearing up for the annual Kings Peak tour on the 27th, can't miss that one :) So if I go anywhere that week, it's gonna be some local higher elevation stuff to remind my body that we aren't gonna be at sea level anymore :)

reinhard2

reinhard2 - Feb 13, 2008 1:33 pm - Voted 10/10

A thoughtful,

not-to-be-read-fast-article one would not like to miss on SP.
It's a lucky decision that you didn't withdraw from SP, which is partly shaped by articles like yours.
Congratulations and thanks for this thorough work.

Viewing: 1-20 of 48
Return to 'Friends in High Places' main page