From Hancock Townsite

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.62540°N / 106.3855°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Directions to the ghost town of Hancock:

From the town of Buena Vista drive 8 miles south on Route 285 to a place known as Nathrop and then turn west onto Route 162. Drive this road 15.3 miles to just before the ghost town of St. Elmo (the first 10 miles are paved and the rest is a well graded dirt road).

Turn left onto Route 295. This road is rougher but is still passable by most/any car. Continue 2.7 miles until you see a detour around an old decaying railroad bridge (The detour is rather steep and the road beyond it is much rougher. I did not need to use 4 wheel drive but I will probably not drive this road in anything less than an SUV). Continue another 2.8 miles to the remains of the old mining town of Hancock.

Route Description

All distances are per my GPS.

Place…………..Elevation (ft)………….Distance (miles)

Ghost Town
Of Hancock……11050………………….Zero

Hancock
Pass…………….12100…………………..2.2

Chapman………...12755…………………0.9


Total………………………………………….3.1 miles



At the ghost town of Hancock you will see a trail that heads west to the old Alpine Tunnel. Do not go there. Head south on a rough Jeep Trail to Hancock Lakes and Hancock Pass. After a very short distance, you will see a Jeep Trail on the right (west). Turn right onto the trail to Hancock Pass (going straight (south) will take you to Hancock Lakes and Chalk Creek Pass).
Jeep Trail
Jeep Trail

Follow the Jeep Trail through the pine forest and above tree-line to reach Hancock Pass.
From Hancock Pass
High Point from Hancock Pass

At the pass, leave the trail and head directly up a steep grassy slope to reach the first high point (USGS contour lines 12720-12760 ft). Follow the ridge-top down roughly 100 vertical feet and then up again to reach the summit of Chapman.
From High Point
Chapman from High Point

Essential Gear

In summer, only hiking equipment.

External Links

Read about Hancock Pass Jeep Trail.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.