From Red Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.81222°N / 117.03944°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a fun easy hike from Red Pass. It's about 5-6 miles round trip, with a combined elevation gain of around 1800 ft.

Getting There

From Death Valley NP, follow the Daylight Pass Road up and over Daylight Pass towards Beatty, NV. Seven miles east of the pass, and well before Beatty, turn left on Titus Canyon Road. There should be a sign indicating where to turn. Then follow the Titus Canyon Road 12 miles to Red Pass and park. You can't miss the pass - as the name implies, it's very red! The parking is kinda tight at the pass so hopefully a huge Sierra Club party doesn't get there before you, as happened to me.

The Titus Canyon Road is a one-way dirt road with somewhat steep grades. 4-wheel drive with high clearance is recommended, but 2-wheel drive with decent clearance should be able to make it. Since it's a one way road, you're committed to follow it all the way down after climbing the peak. This will drop you back down into Death Valley close to the Daylight Pass Road.

You may want to check with the Death Valley Info Center, to make sure the road is not washed out before starting out.

Route Description

Follow the ridge south from Red Pass, for about 3 miles. There's an unavoidable drop in elevation of a few hundred feet en route to the peak. Once this downhill is complete, you'll want to start circling right around the backside of the peak - the side opposite of the limestone cliffs. Keep circling around following the path of least resistance, while climbing closer and closer to the summit. A short scramble will lead to the tiny summit. Now, relax and enjoy the great views.

I've heard of people following the ridge just to the right of the limestone cliffs as viewed on the hike in. I believe it's supposed to be easier than it looks and go at Class 3.

Thimble Peak

Essential Gear

No technical gear required. Just a good pair of boots.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.