From Vail Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.55790°N / 106.1961°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See "Getting There".

Route Description

Trailhead Elevation: 10666 ft
One way Distance per my GPS: 2.9 Miles


From the parking area, hike over the overpass to the east side of I-70 where you will find a trail going into the Pine forest. Follow the trail a short distance to the north side of a 10900 ft forested hill on the east side of I-70 to reach the old logging road (The trail might branch many times. They may all go to the same place eventually).

Hike the road/trail north on a meadow without gaining much elevation until the trail enters the forest again. You will soon find yourself at the tree-line at the base of a steep/rocky slope to the east. Follow the trail north a short distance on the margin of the forest until it ends in an alpine bowl at about 11600 ft at the base of Point 12380 ft which can be mistaken for the summit of Uneva. The area directly below Point 12380 ft is scree filled but the rest of the slopes are grassy and although steep in some places, they can be easily climbed. Find your own way to the top of the ridgeline south of Point 12380 ft and follow that to the top of it.

On the top of Point 12380 ft, the summit of Uneva comes into view to the north. Follow the top of the ridgeline a very short distance down and then up to the summit of Uneva.

Essential Gear

In summer, nothing more than good hiking boots.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.