Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 44.18781°N / 71.5694°W
Additional Information County: Grafton
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 3800 ft / 1158 m

Galehead Hut

Galehead Hut is one of eight backcountry huts managed by the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) within the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. This hut is situated off the Garfield Ridge Trail (also the Appalachian Trail) in a col between Galehead Mountain and South Twin Mountain. Views seen directly from the Hut include a large portion of the Pemigewasset Wilderness Area.

There are several approach trails to the Hut. The most common approach is via the Gale River Trail connected with a left turn onto the Garfield Ridge Trail. There are several excellent day trips that can be made from the Hut, including a visit to #13 Falls, Garfield Mountain, Galehead Mountain, and South Twin Mountain. A more ambitious day hike will bring you to the "Bonds", which is a series of three remote 4,000+ foot mountains in the area with outstanding views.

If you are looking for a bushwhacking adventure near the Hut, look up information on nearby Hawthorne Falls.

Accomodations

According to the AMC's website (www.outdoors.org), the 2012 operating season is as follows:

2012: "Self Service" May 4 - May 28
2012: "Full Service" June 1 - October 13

"Self-Service" means that meals are not provided, but you may use their kitchen facilities to cook your own food. The hut provides mattresses and pillows during the self-service season, but you will need to bring an appropriately rated sleeping bag. I also recommend bringing a headlamp and earplugs.

"Full-Service" includes a full dinner and breakfast, and you are provided with a mattress, blankets and a pillow. Bring your own sleeping liner (recommended) or a very lightweight sleeping bag.

Water can be refilled at the hut (they have a well).

Galehead Hut sleeps 38 in four coed bedrooms. Reservations are mandatory (except for A.T. thru-hikers). The Hut typically sells out well in advance for many summer & holiday weekends.

Check Availability (Reservations):
AMC Reservations

Access

Galehead Hut is the third AMC hut along the Appalachian Trail corridor in New Hampshire:

Note: Huts are listed in order from south to north as they lie on the A.T.
1st - Lonesome Lake Hut
2nd - Greenleaf Hut
3rd - Galehead Hut
4th - Zealand Falls Hut
5th - Mizpah Spring Hut
6th - Lakes of the Clouds Hut
7th - Madison Spring Hut
8th - Carter Notch Hut


The usual route to the Hut is via the Gale River & Garfied Ridge Trails (4.6 miles with 2,200ft of elevation gain).

DISTANCES FROM THE HUT TO:
Galehead Mountain - 0.5 mile with 250ft of elevation gain (via Frost Trail)
South Twin Mountain - 0.8 mile with 1,150ft of elevation gain (via Twinway)
North Twin Mountain - 2.1 miles with 1,450ft of elevation gain and 450ft of elevation loss (via Twinway & North Twin Spur)
Garfield Ridge Shelter/Campsite - 2.7 miles with 200ft of elevation gain (via Twinway & Garfield Ridge Trail)
#13 Falls Campsite - 2.7 miles with 1600ft of elevation loss (via Frost Trail & Twin Brook Trail)
Mount Garfield - 2.9 miles with 800ft of elevation gain (via Twinway & Garfield Ridge Trail)
Guyot Campsite - 3.8 miles (via Twinway & Bondcliff Trail)
West Bond Mountain - 4.1 miles (via Twinway, Bondcliff Trail & West Bond Spur)
Mt. Bond - 4.1 miles (via Twinway & Bondcliff Trail)
Mt. Bond, including trip to West Bond - 5.1 miles (via Twinway, Bondcliff Trail, and West Bond Spur)
Bondcliff - 5.3 miles (via Twinway & Bondcliff Trail)
Bondcliff, including trip to West Bond - 6.3 miles (via Twinway, Bondcliff Trail, and West Bond Spur)
Zealand Mountain - 4.2 miles (via Twinway & unnamed 0.1 mile path to summit)
Zealand Falls Hut - 7.0 miles (via Twinway)
Greenleaf Hut - 7.5 miles (via Twinway, Garfield Ridge Trail & Old Bridal Path)

External Links

Appalachian Mountain Club's Galehead Hut page
Mohammed Ellozy's Galehead Hut page
Higher Summits Forecast

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Twin & Franconia RangesHuts & Campgrounds
 
South Twin MountainHuts & Campgrounds
 
Galehead MountainHuts & Campgrounds