Gamssteig

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.51160°N / 11.57600°E
Additional Information Route Type: Exposed Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The trail starts at hotel Bad Ratzes which you can reach by car from the village of Seis. It ascends steeply through a densely forrested valley along the Proßliner Steig. Some 1h after setting out (signs) turn right upwards in the direction of Schlernbödelehütte (Rifugio Piani di Sciliar) from which Gamssteig starts.

Route Description


Altitude Gain: 1300m
Duration: 4-5h
Trailhead: Bad Ratzes

A beautiful - and in its upper part - rather exposed trail. The name "Gamssteig" (Chamois Trail) speaks for itself. From Schlernbödelehütte follow the signs and marks to the starting point of Gamssteig. After having left the forest behind the trail ascends and winds along ledges through rather steep meadows. In its upper part you need to scramble over a couple of rocks and boulders before Gamssteig combines with the tourist trail at the edge of Schlern plateau. Follow the tourist trail towards Schlernhäuser and Monte Petz.

Essential Gear


Carry normal hiking gear. You don't even need to bring provisions since you can get food at Schlernhäuser.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.