Get Your Money's Worth on Mount Sherman

Get Your Money's Worth on Mount Sherman

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 31, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall, Winter

Route

Mount Sheridan - Mount Sherman - Dyer Mountain

Another rebound hike

Having failed to summit Mt. Princeton last weekend I decided to lower the bar and solo Mt. Sherman. Originally intending to park at the intersection of CO 2 and the Mt. Sherman road, I found it was possible to drive up the Mt. Sherman road in my 2WD. After a mile or so the snow started getting deep so I parked and started hiking at 6:50 am.

Traveling on the road in snowshoes was fun, but then I decided I should find the trail and left the road much sooner than necessary. Bushwhacking through willows and brooks and deep snow was not the most fun thing ever, but it certainly passes the time!

More mountains makes more fun

Well, the sun came up and I realized when I saw Mt. Sheridan that I must climb it also. Snow on the windward side was well-packed and I was able to hike up straightaway with my snowshoes. Although cold at nearly 14,000 feet, it was not unpleasant on the summit. After taking some photos I was on my merry way, where there was fun to be had glissading to the saddle.

Mount Sheridan False SummitApproaching what I thought is the summit of Mt. Sheridan
Rock Shelter on Mount SheridanRock shelter on the summit area
Mount Sheridan Summit AreaThe true summit of Mt. Sheridan
Mount ShermanLooking over at Mt. Sherman
Looking North from Mount SheridanLooking North from Mt. Sheridan
Mount SheridanLooking back at Mt. Sheridan from the saddle
Hilltop MineOld mine structures seen from the saddle
Abandoned Mine StructureA closer look

Brutal winds make less fun

The winds started to pick up at the saddle and got progressively worse the closer I got to Mt. Sherman. At times I moved at a snail's pace, having to fight the wind with each step; but eventually I reached the summit. Now let me say this--lots of people, it seems, dislike Mt. Sherman. Possibly because of the wind. I think barring this factor the ridge to the summit could be great fun. Anyway, the wind did create some interesting artifacts.

Mount ShermanLooking at Mt. Sherman from the saddle
Windblown SnowSnow artifacts on approach to the ridge
Approaching Mount ShermanOn the ridge approaching the summit
Mount Sherman SummitMt. Sherman summit area
Anatomy of a Snow EddySnow eddy on the summit

More mountains makes even more fun!

On the summit of Mt. Sherman I encountered some other hikers who were planning to continue along the ridge to Dyer Mountain. I asked if they would allow me to tag along as I was unfamiliar with the route, particularly the descent. We didn't linger on Mt. Sherman but made haste instead to Gemini Peak, where we passed between the twin peaks en route to Dyer Mountain. As we crossed the narrow ridge connecting Dyer Mountain to Mt. Sherman, the wind stopped--or maybe this ridge gets little wind exposure compared with Mt. Sherman--whatever the case I could soon feel that all my extremities were intact.

Dyer MountainDyer Mountain from the summit of Mt. Sherman
Approach to Dyer MountainPassing between the supple twin peaks
Gemini PeakLooking back on Gemini Peak
Dyer-Sherman RidgeLooking back on the ridge

You're welcome for the glissading tracks

We reached the summit of Dyer Mountain shortly and were met with incredible views in every direction. On the descent we left some well-defined buttprints on the slope and expect them to make prime glissading material for at least a few hours. Enjoy!

Power LinesPower lines on Dyer Mountain
Dyer Mountain Summit PanoramaDyer Mountain summit panorama
Sheridan-Sherman-Dyer GPS TrackGPS track
Sheridan-Sherman-Dyer GPS ProfileElevation profile


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
McCannster

McCannster - Nov 1, 2009 12:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Great TR

I'm hoping to carry my snowboard up Sherman this winter and board down the east side. How was the snow coverage looking?

metal4lyf

metal4lyf - Nov 2, 2009 2:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great TR

Thanks! Plenty of snow on the east side of Sherman when I was up there. Boarding from Sheridan could be sweet also. Be safe, though. Lots of avys already this season.

cftbq

cftbq - Nov 1, 2009 12:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Kudos

for a cool Halloween climb! You're not the first person to find out that "easy" Mt. Sherman can be a real bear due to wind. What was your round trip time??

metal4lyf

metal4lyf - Nov 2, 2009 2:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Kudos

Thank you! From my starting point, time to Sheridan was 3 hrs, from there to Sherman 1.5 hrs, from there to Dyer 2.5 hrs. Total roundtrip was about 8 hours.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.