Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 8, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
No I didn’t take a fall from Giant Mountain, this trip report is about Giant Mountain during the fall season. Everything turned out great for this trip. I wasn’t scheduled to work the overnight on Saturday, so I would be able to head up there Sunday morning. The weather was supposed to be awesome, and it was!
I was going for an early start, because it was Sunday, and I knew the crowds (urg) were going to show up, which they did, and I had to make it back home to get some sleep, because I did have to work the overnight that night starting at 11pm. From my house in NJ, it takes about 4 ½ hours to reach Keene Valley. I left around 0300, and I made it there around 0730. What’s the deal with cars driving with their high beams on Route 87? Give me a break, and have the common courtesy to turn them OFF around other cars. C’mon!
I was concerned that fog was going to mess things up. It would suck to have that early start, and everything’s still all foggy. Yet it seemed to clear all up once I got to the trailhead. It was cool driving under the cover of night, and early morning fog, and then when it was finally clear to be greeted by the Adirondacks in their nice fall colors. There was a brilliant full moon as well that stayed around for quite a bit in the daylight.
I took the Zander Scott trail because it is relatively short, and it has great views along the way. I liked this trail because of the views, and because it wasn’t annoyingly rocky. It was definitely muddy in spots, but you could actually work your way around it. The slippery spots on the rocks could be dealt with as well.
I caught up to a couple that started ahead of me at the Washbowl. We started talking and we stuck together the rest of the way there. So that was cool. Every climb I do is solo, so it was nice to have some company for a change.
I was so impressed with the Adirondacks this time around. It was an amazing fall sight. It was all that I wanted to see, and more. I’m so glad I went and everything cooperated fine, except for the traffic on the way back. I winded up only getting 3 hours of sleep before I had to go to work that night, but it was worth it. I just slept all day Monday anyway.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Giant MountainTrip Reports