Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.31354°N / 117.59502°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6955 ft / 2120 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gobblers Knob is located along the higher elevation Blue Ridge transition to the lower elevation Upper Lytle Creek Ridge. The Pacific Crest Trail runs right along Upper Lytle Creek Ridge to Blue Ridge as it crosses Cajon Pass. This area bears the scars of the 2016 Blue Cut Fire, so there are lots of burnt trees and bulldozed earth. The peak can be accessed from Lone Pine Canyon Road via service road 3N31 or a longer trail hike along the ridgeline via PCT. Gobblers Knob is on the Hundred Peaks List of the Sierra Club, although it is currently suspended as of September 16, 2016.

Getting There

From the I-15 take the SR-138 Exit and go west 1.25 miles until you reach Lone Pine Canyon Road on the left. Take Lone Pine Canyon Road for about 5.4 miles to a dirt road entrance (3N31) on the left. There are a few private ranches along this stretch of road, but the entrance you are looking for is the one without the trespassing signs posted on the gate.  There is a small parking area before the locked gate of service road 3N31. If you want to access this peak via PCT, refer to Wright Mountain which would be from the northwest and which the most common route taken.

Route

From the locked gate take the service road (3N31) all the way for approximately 2 miles up to the Upper Lytle Creek Ridge. Once up at the ridge, head west either on the dirt road or on the PCT for approximately a mile (they will both meet again). If you decide to take the PCT it will lead you south around hump 6705' (some maps mistakenly refer to this as Gobblers Knob) and then spit you back out on the service road you were just on. If you take the service road it will lead you north around hump 6705'. Once you pass hump 6705' you will come to a saddle and from this saddle you will see Gobblers Knob right in front of you, and you can proceed to climb up the hump to the summit area of Gobblers Knob. The register is located on the westerly part of the summit area. Since Gobblers Knob is located along the PCT, it is also accessible from either side...the most popular being from Wright Mountain to the northwest which shares the same ridge line.

Red Tape

As far as I know Adventure Pass is not required at the parking area from Lone Pine Canyon Road. Wilderness Permit is not required to hike here.

When to Climb

The first few miles of service road (3N31) is exposed and once you're up on the ridge you are exposed as well. As with any hike around this area, start early if you want to avoid the sun and heat. Or simply check the weather and avoid hiking on hot days. Or bring lots of water, sunblock and a hat. The PCT is also exposed along certain parts of the ridge. The ridge line can get very windy.

Camping

There is a designated trail camp area right at the saddle between hump 6705' and Gobblers Knob, but you can really camp anywhere along the ridge line.

External Links

Link to the Sierra Club 100 Peaks section