Golden Eagle Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.64150°N / 75.992°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 2-3)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page. This trail starts between the two boulder fields at the River of Rocks. The trail makes a loop around the ridge and to the Hawk Mountain summit.

Route Description


This route will give you 976 feet of elevation gain in 1.5 miles. For Pennsylvania that' s a calf killer. Once you get onto Hawk Mountain's main ridge, there a three Class 3 scrambles. The final Class 3 pitch takes you right up to the top of Hawk Mountain and is quite a rewarding finish to your hike. To return you can either descend back to the River of Rocks Trail or head back on the Escarpment or Overlook Trails. The views are great all along the trail and it is simply fun because of the scrambling.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, treeking poles, snacks/water, and a camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.