Skyline Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.64150°N / 75.992°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class2-3)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page. You can access this trail by either the Appalachian Trail, Overlook Trail, or Golden Eagle Trail.

Route Description


This trail traverses the Kittatinny Ridge with the Golden Eagle Trail for 2.7 miles from the summit of Hawk Mountain to the Appalachian Trail intersection. This is one of the few exposed ridges in Pennsylvania as it is just like a huge pile of rocks. The trail follows the ridge crest and you get some wonderful views in all directions as you head along the ridge. There are a few Class 3 moves on this ridge but the most notable is below the summit of Hawk Mountain. This is a hundred foot climb that requires the use of your hands and feet in some odd positions. It is quite a fun little scramble though, especially for Pennsylvania. The views and fun climbing make this trail a well worth-while destination.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking shoes, snacks/water, trekking poles, and a camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.