Gomar Falls

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.32512°N / 88.05542°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: WI grade 3 to 3+
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gomar Falls. This classic is a monster slab of ice at 40meters wide, 90meters high, and 5meters thick. The rating of 3 to 3+ depends on the route and whether or not an ice screw belay is used. The first pitch has a tree to belay from on the left side, but the ice screw belay is needed if climbing up the middle.

Getting There

Parking is available at the hydroelectric power plant just off highway 11. Asking the folks at the plant for permission to park there is a smart move. The trail leading to the climb can be a fairly strenuous 1.5 mile hike depending on the snow conditions. It begins just across the highway from the parking area at the plant.

Route Description

Ascend however you feel most comfortable, there's plenty of ice to be had on this climb. Although, there is a great tree to set up a belay station for pitch one on the rock outcropping on the left. The final belay station is another stout tree near the left side at the top.

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.