Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.94530°N / 110.758°W
Additional Information County: Duchene
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9496 ft / 2894 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 To me, Gray Head Peak has been a "Plan B" peak.  Once during a snowstorm in January 1998, we came here because we feared that the avalanche danger would be too great in the Wasatch.  In August 2022 we were headed somewhere else, but the highway through Spanish Fork Canyon washed out and we decided to hike here.  

Plan B or not, Gray Head Peak is an interesting peak and perhaps the most interesting peak in the immediate area. Also interesting is that the names of Gray Head and Indian Head seem to be confused in this area.  There is another peak to the north called Gray Head Benchmark, which some maps call Indian Head.  There are also two other peaks in the immediate vicinity called Indian Head.  That said, this one is called Gray Head Peak on all maps so seems to be the least confusing of the names! The peak is interesting because of the steep angular slopes and the bristlecone pines.  Bristlecone pines are the oldest trees in the world, but my guess is that they are pretty young here because they aren't as twisted and gnarled as some I have seen. The views from the summit are great and almost no one goes here.  Plan on having the place to yourself, even on holiday weekends.

The mountain is part of what the maps label as the Bad Land Cliffs, but compared to the Book Cliffs just to the south, they are more very steep slopes than true cliffs, at least by Utah standards.  Because of its proximity to the Book Cliffs, this page can be grouped with the peaks there.

Getting There

Strangely, the mountain pass on Highway 191 seems to be the only major mountain pass in Utah without a name.  It is next to Argyle Canyon though.   From either Helper on the south or Duchesne on the north, drive US Highway 191 to the area around the pass.  Less than half a mile north of the pass, FR 114/FR 324 (which has a small sign) takes off to the west.  Either park here next to the highway (there is plenty of parking just up the road) or drive north on FR 114, making two right turns along the way, to the road end.  Park here. Note that if the roads are wet, you don't want to drive them.  We tried (and failed) to drive the road when it was wet, but didn't make it far. Park at the highway if the roads are wet or if it might rain or snow. Left Fork Lake Canyon or Right Fork Lake Canyon are alternate approach roads, but I am not familiar with them and they are probably 4wd roads.

Gray Head Peak as seen from along FR 114

Routes Overview

From FR 114

This route has the easiest access to the trailhead and is the approach I have used both times I have been here.  From the end of FR 114, an illegal ATV track heads north up the hill.  To locate the trail, watch closely for a trail heading left at a small cairn.  This trail more or less goes all the way to Gray Head Peak, but it isn't used much and in most places is more of a game trail than a hiking trail.  Note that the trail isn't where it is marked on the topo map either, so don't try and follow that route.   Head north staying on the ridge over point 9115.  If you wish, game trails skirt the summits of both Point 9383 and Peak 9463, but Peak 9463 is ranked and you might as well climb it too.

From Peak 9463, follow the ridge to Gray Head Peak and enjoy the fine views.  The hike can be done in a moderate day from the highway, or in a half a day from the end of FR 114.  There is some minor bushwhacking and a few steep sections, but no major problems.   A strong climber or hiker might consider heading north from Peak 9463 to Peak 9217 and Gray Head BM (called Indian Head on some maps).  They look like interesting peaks, but I have not climbed them.

Other Routes

The easiest and shortest route up Gray Head Peak might be from Left Fork Lake Canyon, but I have not used this route and the approach roads are much more difficult.  Right Fork Lake Canyon is another possibility, but try and stay on a south or west facing slope if you can, because of brush. 

Red Tape

None. Please don't drive ATVs off the approach road.

When to Climb

June, September, and October are probably ideal for hiking, while December through March or April is good for skiing or snowshoeing.   July and August aren't bad either, but can be warm on some days. Wear hunter orange during hunting season as hunters visit this area more than hikers. This peak does make a good winter ascent since most of the time it doesn't have the avalanche danger as do some of the ranges in Utah, but there are a few slopes that could slide.    

Camping

Avintaquin Campground is not far from the trailhead.  There are campsites along FR 114 as well.

Backcountry campsites are available in several areas, but there isn't any water except snow in winter and spring.  Still, if you don't mind carrying water, the sunsets and sunrises from the ridges are spectacular.  You can easily make this into a two day (or more) trip by following the ridges to more peaks.  

Sunset from our campsite along the ridge

Mountain Conditions

Click Here for the Weather Forecast for Gray Head Peak.

Below is the National Weather Service Climate Summary for nearby Soldier Summit 1948-2002, which is nearby.  During the day time, temperatures on top of Gray Head Peak will be a bit cooler (5-8 degrees) than at Soldier Summit.

MONTH AVE HIGH AVE LOW REC HIGH REC LOW AVE PREC (in)

AVE

SNOW (in)

JAN 29 4 54 -29 1.69 22.4
FEB 34 6 57 -30 1.67 20.1
MAR 41 14 62 -16 1.42 13.0
APR 52 21 75 -18 1.02 5.1
MAY 62 28 84 6 1.26 2.7
JUN 73 34 92 11 0.57 0
JUL 80 41 98 27 1.15 0
AUG 78 39 91 21 1.32 0
SEP 71 32 89 13 0.87 0.2
OCT 59 23 78 -2 0.98 1.5
NOV 41 13 68 -22 0.97 3.7
DEC 31 4 56 -31 1.63 19.2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Book CliffsMountains & Rocks