Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.83047°N / 115.26012°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9843 ft / 3000 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gusty Peak is in the Kananaskis Range south of Kananaskis Lakes, inside the Peter Lougheed Provincial Park and is easily accessible through a well-used hiking trail. The total elevation gain from the parking lot is 1100 meters and it is an easy scramble.

Gusty Peak shares the same approach as The Fortress, Mount Chester, and Mount Galatea, and appears to be less visited. Despite not being the largest peak in the area, the view is impressive, with Mounts Joffre, Sir Douglas and Assiniboine close by. It received its name from the conditions encountered by an Alpine Club of Canada ascent of the peak in 1972. A non-official summit then, it's indicated this was the first ascent of the mountain.

Getting There

From Canmore, drive south on the Spray Lakes road for about 44km, and turn left (east) at the very large and popular Chester Lake parking lot (signed). From the south, the Spray Lakes road can be accessed from the Kananaskis Lakes junction a short distance from Highway 40.

Red Tape

No permits are needed to enter and do day trips in Kananaskis. Bears frequent the area, so check for trail closures before you leave, and be bear-aware at all times, frequently making noise to avoid encounters. Some people like to carry bear spray.

When To Climb

As with most scrambles in the area, July through September is driest, but conditions can change dramatically even through that time.

Camping

No camping is allowed at Chester Lake. Due to the fragile alpine surrounding and the popularity of this area, the existing campground has been closed.

Mountain Conditions

You can check the Kananaskis website for trail closures and information, or call the Peter Lougheed Visitor Centre at (403) 591 6322.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.