Halema'uma'u Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 19.45200°N / 155.29201°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the Visitor's Center, simply walk across the road near the hotel. Find a sidewalk that leads to the trails. Follow signs for the Halema'uma'u Loop Trail.

Route Description

Once you are on the Halema'uma'u Loop Trail, you will descend several hundred feet through charming rainforest to the Kilauea Caldera floor. The change in scenery is abrupt.

Once you reach the caldera floor, you will hike across the caldera for several miles, finally reaching the Halema'uma'u Crater, which is over 300 feet deep. Hawaiians believe that Pele resides here, and until recently, the floor of this crater was magma. Along the way, you will pass lava flows from the last 20 years, and hike through amazing scenery.

Remember as you hike that an active magma chamber is only hundreds of feet below the soles of your shoes!

The Park Rangers constantly alter the route through the Caldera. Ensure that you follow the large cairns to safely negotiate this terrain. Along the way you will pass steaming vents, lava formations, and new plant life.

This trail is seven miles round trip, and be combined with several other trails. You will lose 400 feet on the way out, and gain it again to return.



The Heart of the Halema'uma'u Crater.

Essential Gear

Sturdy hiking shoes or boots. Do not wear any sort of open-toed shoes. Bring plenty of water. It can get hot down in the Caldera.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.