Kilauea Iki Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 19.45200°N / 155.29201°W
Additional Information Route Type: Lava Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the Visitor's Center, drive down the Chain of the Craters Road, and park at the parking area for the Thurston Lava Tube.

Route Description


This hike descends 400 feet through rainforest, across the crater floor, passes Pu'u Pua'i cinder cone, and return via the crater's rim. The trail is marked well. Ensure you follow the cairns.

If you only have time to do one hike at HVNP, do this one. It's short, lets you see a lot of stuff, and is very easy.

This hike is 4 miles round trip. You will gain and lose 400 feet going to and from the Crater Floor.

Essential Gear


Sturdy shoes. Do not wear any open toed shoes. The lava will eat up your feet! Bring plenty of water.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.