Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.19450°N / 118.0623°W
Additional Information County: Los Angeles
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4000 ft / 1219 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview: Part of a Lower Peaks Combo

Hastings Peak is a bump on a wonderful ridge connecting the saddle just north of Jones Peak (3,375’) with the Mt. Wilson Toll Road, a major hiker and biker artery in the San Gabriel front range. This peak overlooks beautiful Bailey Canyon and in turn sits below the range of peaks comprising the Mt. Wilson crest. Apart from Jones Peak, Hastings’ nearest neighbor is Mount Yale, about ¾ mile away. In fact, the hiking combo of Jones, Hastings and Yale makes for an excellent lower peaks hiking day.

From low on the Bailey Canyon Trail, Hastings Peak actually looks “big and far away” although it is only about 4.25 miles from the Bailey Canyon trailhead.
Hastings Peak (4,000+), San Gabriel Mtns.Hastings Peak seen from Bailey Canyon Trail, 2/17/07




Hastings Peak affords excellent views towards the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island because there is nothing higher to impede views in that direction. Mt. Baldy is to the east, along with Mt. San Gorgonio and Mt. San Jacinto further on the horizon. Closer in, to the northwest and moving clock-wise, you eye Mt. Lowe, Mt. Markham, San Gabriel Peak, Mt. Yale and Mt. Harvard.
Mt. Harvard (5441 ) (R), Mt. Yale (4760 ) (just left of Harvard)Mt. Harvard (extreme right), Mt. Yale (just left of Harvard)
L-R: Mt. Lowe, Mt. Markham, San Gabriel PeakL-R: Mt. Lowe, Mt. Markham, San Gabriel Pk from ridge near Hastings Peak 2/17.07
















The recommended route to Hastings Peak is from the Bailey Canyon Park trailhead in Sierra Madre. Take the Bailey Canyon Trail 3.2 miles to the little saddle just north of Jones Peak.
North Slope of Jones Peak in San Gabriel Mtns.Looking down on the saddle (3300') north of Jones Peak
From there, head up the fire break on the ridge that sweeps northwest towards the Mt. Wilson Toll Road. Hastings Peak is the second major bump on the ridge as you go northwest. The summit area contains the remains of a flagpole where recently an American flag was hoisted. You will notice that there is actually a bump on the ridge further on higher than Hastings Peak. This other bump is shown on the topo map as 4,163 feet in elevation. The route described here is 8.5 - 9 miles round trip with about 3,000 feet of gain.
Summit of Hastings Peak (4000 ), San Gabriel MountainsSummit area of Hastings Peak, 2/17/07
Hastings Peak (4000 ) (very center)The NW ridge along which Hastings Pk is situated seen from the north. Hastings Pk is the 3d bump from the right


An alternative route would be to start from the Mt. Wilson Trail trailhead, 1 mile east of the Bailey Canyon Park trailhead. Take the Mt. Wilson Trail about 2 miles to a “connector” trail that ascends in a southwesterly direction off the Mt. Wilson Trail. This connector trail is off to the left before you get to the helipad next to the Mt. Wilson Trail. In less than a mile, but with about 700 feet of gain, this connector trail gains the ridge coming from Jones Peak at a point less than a mile from your destination, Hastings Peak. This route is about 8 miles round trip with about 3,100 feet of gain.

Getting There

The recommended route begins at the Bailey Canyon Park trailhead, also known as Grove Park. It is situated within the city limits of Sierra Madre. From the 210 Freeway, exit at Santa Anita Ave. and go north. Turn left (west) on Grand View. Continue several blocks to Grove. Turn right (north) onto Grove and drive directly into the Bailey Canyon Park/Grove Park parking lot. There is a gate at the entrance to the park open “from dawn to dusk.” If you get there before the gate is open, there is parking along adjacent residential streets.

For the alternate route starting from the Mt. Wilson Trail trailhead, exit the 210 Freeway at Baldwin Ave. and go north. When you come to a traffic light where you have to go either right or left, go left to the next light which is Baldwin Ave. Take a right and continue up Baldwin Ave. through the “downtown” area of Sierra Madre. Approximately 1/2 mile from the downtown plaza, take a right on Mira Monte. Go down about 1/3 mile and you will come to a small park on your left. Park anywhere in this area along Mira Monte. To get to the trail, walk up the paved road that goes north off of Mira Monte next to the park.

Red Tape

No permits are needed for this hike. Neither will you need an Adventure Pass or Golden Eagle Pass to park at either the Bailey Canyon Park or Mt. Wilson Trail trailheads as these trailheads are not located within the Angeles National Forest.

Camping

There are no campsites/campgrounds within the immediate vicinity of this peak.

When to Climb

All year round. However, clothe and equip yourself appropriately on the infrequent occasions when there is winter snow cover at this elevation.

Mountain Conditions

Check forecast information for nearby Mt. Wilson in local newspapers or internet weather services. There is sometimes snow at elevations below 5,000 feet in the San Gabriel front range during the winter.

Other Information

USGS 7.5 Topo: Mt. Wilson

External Links

Sierra Club's Lower Peaks Committee Peak List

Angeles National Forest




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.