Hawk Rocks North Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.35300°N / 77.09°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page. Leave the A.T. below the cliffs.

Route Description


This route is just my personal route to the top as an ascent up the cliffs to Hawk Rocks. You'll be able to see the escarpment above you from the A.T. There is an opening from rock fall in the vegetation which is where I left the trail. A short Class 3 scramble over some boulders and steep rock slabs will bring you to the base of Hawk Rocks. My route traversed the ledge system on the right which ends about ten feet from the top. You'll see the nice ledge on the right side of the cliffs and it heads up almost like a miniature colouir. The crux move is at the top in the form of the overhang which composes the uppermost part of Hawk Rocks. The height of the cliffs alone is about seventy five feet and the top of Hawk Rocks towers about one hundred and fifty feet above where the A.T. crosses beneath it. If there are wet conditions or snow conditions you'll definitely need rope. Other than this one exception, all the other routes up the face are technical and class five. Of course there are great views from the top as mentioned in the overview of the main page. Have FUN but be SAFE!

Essential Gear


All your normal hiking gear, camera, water/snacks. In wet conditons you'll definitely want to bring rope because it will change the difficulty of this route to Class 5.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.