Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99050°N / 108.6148°W
Additional Information County: Mesa
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6500 ft / 1981 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Haystack 3 Benchmark makes for a spectacular viewpoint next to Grand Junction.  It is a ranked peak viewed by many, but not climbed as often as expected considering that it is right next to the city.  I have climbed it many times, usually before and after work.

VIews include Colorado National Monument to the west, Grand Junction to the north, Billings Canyon to the east, and Rough Canyon to the south. 

The area is more known for mountain biking and 4wd travel than hiking, but there are no mountain bike trails or 4wd trails to the summit.  The peak offers a variety of routes, all of them fairly short so it makes a good before or after work summit.

Interestingly, although this peak is Haystack 3 BM, I have found no benchmarks or named places for Haystack Benchmarks 1 and 2, so I'm not sure why this one is #3.

Note: Although this peak is just outside Colorado National Monument, for simplicity purposes, it seems best to attach it to that page.

View from Haystack 3 BM
View from Haystack 3 BM



Getting There

Third Flats Trailhead

This trailhead provides a longer hike than the one below, but a trail goes higher on the mountain so it is a good place to start.

Simply put, drive Little Park Road for about 5.7 miles from the intersection with Monument Road and park on the large parking area on the east side of the road labeled Third Flats.

West Face Trailhead

This trailhead provides the shortest practical route to the summit of Haystack 3 BM.  Drive Little Park Road for about 6.5 miles from the intersection with Monument Road and park on a parking area (no sign) on the east side of the road.  I don't know the exact mileage from the intersection or Monument Road and Little Park Road, but 6.5 miles is pretty close and it's the only obvious place to park. 

Trailhead for Haystack 3 Benchmark
Trailhead for Haystack 3 Benchmark

Routes Overview

Third Flats

From Third Flats Trailhead, several trails (used by ATVs and Mountain Bikes, as well as hikers) access the summit ridge.  Easy Rider, Cedar Point, Quadrocker, Canyon View, and Rollover Ridge all lead in the direction you want to go.  Once you are at the southern terminus of the trail complex, the summit is a pleasant and interesting off trail ridge hike to the summit.  Expect a 2 hour hike or so (round trip), but you can make it longer if you wish since there are a lot of other trails in the area.

West Face

From the parking lot, simply route find up the west face of the peak and make your way to the summit.  There are many possibilities. There is no trail, so make sure to avoid any crypto soil (black soil) if present, but it usually isn't a problem.  This route usually takes about an hour round trip, but there are places to explore. 

View from Haystack 3 BM
View from Haystack 3 BM



Haystack 3 BM Map
Haystack 3 BM Map

  

Red Tape

This is a day use only area. Picking up after dogs is mandatory. 

When to Climb

Spring and Fall have the most ideal weather, but you can and I have climbed the mountain  in all seasons. This is the desert, so sunshine is plentiful and precipitation light. Snowfall is also light, especially by Colorado standards. Don't do this hike when it's muddy as the clay soils wouldn't be fun and it isn't environmentally friendly.  If there is snow on the ground, climb early in the morning when it is frozen.  Microspikes can be useful here. 

Mornings and evenings in summer are pleasant too, but afternoons can be hot. The peak is a nice place to go for the sunset.

Summit of Haystack 3 Benchmark in May
Summit of Haystack 3 Benchmark in May

Camping

This is a day use area so no camping is allowed.  The closest camping is probably the KOA in Grand Junction, but there are a lot of places in Grand Junction to stay without camping as well.  

Mountain Conditions

Click Here for the Weather Forecast for Haystack 3 BM.

Below is the National Weather Service Climate Summary for nearby Grand Junction 1928-2022.  Temperatures might be about 5-10 degrees cooler on Haystack 3 BM.

MONTH AVE HIGH AVE LOW REC HIGH REC LOW AVE PREC (in)

AVE

SNOW (in)

JAN 37 16 60 -23 0.61 5.8
FEB 45 23 69 -21 0.56 3.6
MAR 56 31 81 5 0.82 2.9
APR 65 39 89 11 0.80 0.9
MAY 76 48 101 24 0.77 0.1
JUN 87 57 105 34 0.44 0
JUL 93 64 107 44 0.63 0
AUG 90 62 103 43 0.94 0
SEP 81 53 100 29 0.99 0
OCT 67 41 88 6 0.93 0.4
NOV 51 28 76 -4 0.64 2.4
DEC 39 18 64 -17 0.60 5.1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.