Haystack Mountain's Haycrack Route

Haystack Mountain's Haycrack Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.10523°N / 73.90723°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.3 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This technical slide lies 9 miles from the nearest trailhead. While climbing this as a stand-alone route entails a great deal of hiking, the combination of this route with a climb of the slide just to the south (the Conjoined Slides join at the top) makes a nice day of climbing in a remote setting just across from Mt. Marcy, New York's highest peak. Portions of the southern slide fall in the low technical climbing range with nice sections of face climbing.

Getting There

 
Follow Marcy Brook up to 3,375 elevation where a drainage stream enters from the right; this is near the beaver ponds (on the left). Follow through the woods just south of the stream and to the slides after about 200 feet of elevation gain. There are two closely adjacent slides, the northern (left) track hosts the Haycrack route. Climb several ledges to a right rising dike that leads to the base of the slab. 
 

Route Description

Grade/Length/Pro: 5.3 YDS/PG/150'
 
Face climb 15 feet up to a hand-crack via excellent stone. The crack offers bomber holds throughout. Continue to follow the crack that leads up the face over a bulge to a 1 dominant overlap at 80 feet. This makes a good belay point if you want to turn this into a 2 pitch route. Follow the crack up another 30 feet to a slightly overhanging wall. Traverse right below the wall, step down over a 6' corner, continue on easy slab to end the traverse in the woods after 40 feet. 
 
Either bushwhack up through the woods to the top of the slide or back down to the beginning of the route.
 
Haystack Mountain's Haycrack RouteView of the route from bottom of the route. 

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.