Hidden Valley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.53194°N / 109.51727°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hidden Canyon is a beautiful little valley that hides behind the western walls of Spanish Valley to the southwest of Moab, Utah. A trail takes you 500 ft up a steep slope where Hidden Valley suddenly comes to view. You can then hike the valley 1.5 more miles to a saddle where you can get access to Moab Rim Trail.

There are supposedly Native American petroglyphs in the area but I did not see any.

Getting There

Drive 3 miles south from Moab on U.S. 191 and turn right onto Angel Rock Road. After two blocks, turn right onto Rimrock Road and drive to parking area.

Route Description

Hidden ValleyMap



Place
Elevation
Distance
Trailhead
4600 ft
zero miles
Hidden Valley
5100 ft
0.60 miles
Pass
5220 ft
1.50 miles
Total
-
2.10 miles




The trail heads southwest going up a slope among the cliffs. It then gradually turns northwest.

The steep slope


As you go up parts of southern Moab come to view.

Moab Area

Southern Moab


I did my hike on a cloudy day. On a clear day, La Sal Mountains should be in good view.

La Sal Mountains hidden in cloudsLa Sal Mountains hidden in clouds


Hidden Valley will now appear as a grassy plain. Big walls rise to the left (southwest).

Hidden Valley

Hidden Valley


Keep going toward a high point.

Hidden ValleyHigh point


After the high point, you will descend a tiny bit going onto a second plain.

Hidden Valley

Hidden Valley

Hidden Valley


You will then reach the pass at the end of the hike described here. Continuing west will eventually get you to Moab Rim Trail. At the pass, you will have good views of the sandstone fins of the Behind the Rocks Wilderness and the La Sal Mountains.

From the pass at the end of the hikeBehind the Rocks

From the pass at the end of the hikeHidden Valley

Hidden Valley & La Sal MountainsLa Sal Mountains

Hidden Valey & La Sal MountainsLa Sal Mountains


Essential Gear

Hiking equipment.

External Links

No permits or fees required.

External Link

BLM Site.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.