Hike to Toe of Athabasca Glacier

Hike to Toe of Athabasca Glacier

Page Type Page Type: Album

Introduction

How often can the average hiker step this close to a glacier?

On Monday, September 12, 2011 my husband and I spent time on the Icefields Parkway. One of the major stops of course is the Icefields Centre where you can view the Athabasca Glacier from a short distance but even better, go across the road and do the short hike up to the toe of the Glacier itself.

These pictures detail some of the hike and the rewards of taking the hour plus to do so!

This was one of the four highlights of my trip to Banff last September!

Please see also the Route page I created associated with this album for this short trail on this page.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
icypeak

icypeak - Feb 8, 2012 6:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Love this album..

Seems I was there just a week before you, climbed Mt Athabasca and the view of the glacier was just super! Thanks for posting.

silversummit

silversummit - Feb 8, 2012 7:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Love this album..

Thank you for the vote and I'm jealous since you climbed Athabasca! Was your weather great too? Lucky you living so much closer than I do! I'll go check out your photos next!

Kathy


icypeak

icypeak - Feb 11, 2012 1:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Love this album..

Hi Kathy...yes, the weather just super. I was there for 1 week, nothing but sunshine. But, it was too hot believe it or not, tried to climb Mt Victoria too but had to turn back just shy of the summit due to really soft snow and avalanche risk. But, don't mean to complain!!

myrone

myrone - Sep 27, 2012 11:21 am - Voted 10/10

Fine Job

Yet another masterpiece Kathy, nicely done!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.