Hoodoos, spires, Pinnacles and Rock Standing On End

Hoodoos, spires, Pinnacles and Rock Standing On End

Page Type Page Type: Album

Hoodoos, Spires and Pinnacles

Hoodoos and spires sometimes show up in the most unusual and unexpected places. And then there are the places like Bryce Canyon National Park where they are abundant and People flock in by the millions to see them.They are in the deserts and in the mountains. They make for very interesting rock formations. This album is for these strange rocks that stand up on end.

This album is for the smaller vertical rock formations. If it's a larger tower, please do not post it. If it's much over 100 feet high, it does not belong here. You can post the larger towers, spires and needles on the Towers and Needles page, or the Rock Spires page, or the Rock Towers page.
Any photo added that I do not feel fits this criterea will be deleted.

Hoodoos

Hoodoos are spires composed of soft sedimentary rock, and are topped by a piece of harder stone that less easily-erodeds and protects the column from the elements. They protrude from the bottom of arid basins and badlands. Brice Canyon is the most well known area for hoodoos.

You are welcome to adding your own photos of hoodoos.
The only thing I ask, is for popular places like Bryce Canyon where hoodoos are in abundance, only add your best hoodoo photos and the most interesting hoodoos. I do not want this album to be another "Bryce Canyon photo album." Other than that, add whatever hoodoo photo you've got!

Spires and Pinnacles

Spires have a smoother profile or uniform thickness that tapers from the ground upward. What I'm looking for here is smaller spires and not major rock towers. If it stands hundreds of feet high and can be a major climb please do not submit it here. These spires are smaller and typically not climbed and are clustered togather, sort of like hoodoos.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
NKING100

NKING100 - Dec 6, 2007 9:33 am - Hasn't voted

None of these images look like Hoodoos to me

Hoodoos are tall thin spires of rock that protrude from the bottom of arid basins and badlands. They are composed of soft sedimentary rock, and are topped by a piece of harder, less easily-eroded stone that protects the column from the elements.
I can't see any cap stones on any of your images

Steven Cross

Steven Cross - Dec 6, 2007 1:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: None of these images look like Hoodoos to me

Thanks for the definition, I changed the page accordingly.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.