In October, the Lyall's Larch...

In October, the Lyall's Larch...

In October, the Lyall's Larch turn a golden color. They are only one of two species of pine trees that drop their needles each year but before they drop, they turn gold. Oct 8 2002 Canon S-100 pic
Dean
on Dec 22, 2002 8:25 pm
Image ID: 15207

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Dec 22, 2002 8:50 pm - Hasn't voted

What's the other tree?

I thought larch were the only conifer to turn yellow and lose their needles. What's the other?

(great pic, I love that time of year.)

Dean

Dean - Dec 22, 2002 9:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What's the other tree?

Hmmmm, I wish I could remember where I read that. My understanding is that the other tree species is in Asia. If there is only one, I would be fine with it . I'll research it out and get a final answer. Stay tuned.

BTW, I'm with you, Larch time in the Cascades is primo time. I got two Larch trips in this fall. One to the Enchantments and one to Headlight basin where this pic was taken. Both were awesome trips due to the Larch.

Dave K - Dec 22, 2002 9:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What's the other tree?

The dawn redwood also changes colors and loses its leaves in the fall. It lives in China. It is one of only three living species of sequoias/redwoods--the other two, the coastal redwood and giant sequoia, live in California. The dawn redwood was first described relatively recently—in 1941.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Dec 23, 2002 7:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: What's the other tree?

Hey thanks! Great info, guys. Interesting that they first discovered the Asian tree by fossil and then found the first live specimen all within the same year. Thanks much.



Dean, I also was lucky enough to see two areas with golden larches this Fall, just west of Yakima and then out in the Strawberry Range. Awesome stuff and makes for great pictures.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4