Inca Trail to Machu Picchu

Inca Trail to Machu Picchu

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 12, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Getting There and Getting Acclimatized

We arrived! Where? Peru! Machu Picchu, to be exact! Many of our previous studies of South America and our dreams were realized as we entered the gates to the Lost City of the Incas: Machu Picchu. The trek to get there was an equally wonderful adventure.

Arriving in Cusco on a flight from Lima, we wondered if the altitude at 11,000 feet (3600 m) would affect us. We also wondered if we would experience rain, since we are at the end of the rainy season (November through March). Who is "we"? There are only two in our group: Barb and Sandy...experienced backpackers...but not experienced in trekking!

The altitude affected us in Cusco as we climbed up and down steep hills to visit sights--and climbed again to get to our hotel. We got out of breath easily. Since we had a few days to acclimatize, we managed well. A note of advice: Be sure to allow at least a day or two before your trek to get adjusted to the altitude! Then, the elevations on the Inca Trail (highest pass is 14,088 feet or 4198 m) and at Machu Picchu (about 8,000 feet or 2450 m) are not so daunting. A good activity for the acclimatization day was a city tour of Cusco (Sachsayhuaman, the Cathedral and Coricancha are included).

Barbara Colliander


The rains came and went. We had rain before, during and after the trek, but good rain gear and a day pack cover were sufficient to keep us and our gear dry.

Trek Day One to Q'ente--Hey, this is easy!

The trek started with a train ride from Cusco, which then runs along the Urubamba River to km 88, enroute to Machu Picchu. Our train was filled with tourists, heading to the "Lost City" for a day tour. We Inca Trail trekkers got off the train at km 88 with a lot of "good luck" wishes from others who stayed on the train. Our guide checked us in at the guard station and we crossed the Urubamba River to our first campsite, Q'ente.

Barbara Colliander


Sounded like an easy Day One to us! However, after a morning snack, we took a hike to the ruins of Machu Q'ente and Wayna Q'ente, and had a good lesson on Inca culture and architecture. The view from the ruins was spectacular, looking up and down the Urubamba River and the Sacred Valley. We return from the 6 km hike, knowing that we have some beautiful scenery ahead of us on the trek!

A late lunch, rest, tea, evening meal and good conversation rounded out the day's activities. Already we were experiencing the delicious food prepared for trekking groups! Each evening, the guide gave a briefing about the hiking for the next day and answered any questions. This first evening, we also signed an agreement that we will help conserve the natural area with good environmental practices, such as disposing of trash in organic and inorganic bags (which is carried out) and by not letting soap enter the ground.

The guides were very knowledgeable about the Inca history, the local Quechua culture, and the flora and fauna of the area. They also had a good perspective of current Peruvian culture and events, to give an overall realistic picture of their country.

Trek Day Two to Llulluchupampa--Ummm, it isn't so easy!

Day Two started with breakfast at the campsite, and, after meeting our cook and porters (the camp crew), we headed out towards the Llulluchupampa campsite, about 11 km westward and uphill. We left the Urubamba River after viewing two more ruins, and hiked up the valleys of the Cusichaca and then the Llullucha Rivers. Beauty was everywhere! There were hamlets enroute, and occasionally we passed local people with horses or burros going to their fields (the animals are allowed on the trail in this area). Now and then, there was a house with an open window, which acted as a mini-store with candy bars, colas and water for sale.

Barbara Colliander


Lunch was prepared for us enroute. This meant a sit-down meal in a dining tent, usually cooked, and very plentiful! Snacks for the day had been given to us in the morning, so we had to be careful not to over-stuff ourselves! We still had an afternoon of hiking to go!

The trail continued upward, gradually first, then steeper. We thought it was very difficult, because the altitude caused us to be short of breath and we needed to go slowly...and stop occasionally for a brief rest. We drank plenty of water!

Our campsite was in fog when we arrived. We were very near the highest pass (to be reached the next day) in a meadow area with mountains all around. Beautiful, even in fog. A latrine (we have our priorities) had been erected by the camp crew (who had passed us along the way), along with our tents and dining tent. Tea and snacks were followed by dinner and more conversation, and we were treated by a cleared sky and full moon before turning into bed!

Trek Day Three to Phuyupatamarca--Good grief! This is difficult!

Day Three was the most difficult day, and not because of the rain! (What happened to the clear sky from the evening before?) This was the day that twe hiked over three passes. The first comes fairly quickly--if you are a fast hiker (which we were not)--and is Warmiwanusca (Dead Woman's Pass) at 14,088 feet. Two others followed. The day's hike was about 16 km....do-able in most hiker's minds.

However, the most difficult part of the hiking this day was the Inca steps! Up, up, up....then down, down, down. Then up, up, up....you get the idea. One came to respect (and "love to hate") the work of the Incas! The steps go straight up and down (did they not know about switch backs?) and each step is a varying height. Even with hiking poles (we consider a must), they were a real challenge!

Barbara Colliander


Enroute, there were the Inca ruins of Runkuraqay and Sayacmarca. Each time there were ruins, we took a break and were treated to more interesting stories of the Inca and the purpose and importance of these places. We were often reminded that, since the Inca had no written record and the Spaniards, who followed in the mid 1500's, told the Incas story with a Spanish "spin", there are a lot of things that we do not know about the Inca culture. Archeologists have done a lot of research and have ventured educated guesses, but one must be careful about saying "for a fact, this is what the Incas did or intended". Nevertheless, we were impressed by the immense amount of work that the Inca Empire accomplished in their 100 year rule.

Our campsite that evening was actually at the third pass of the day--Phuyupatamarca. Since we were on top of a ridge (misnamed a pass), we had beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. We arrived late in the day and just before tea, we observed a beautiful sunset. During supper, we were called outside and watched the full moon rise!

Trek Day Four to Machu Picchu--Downhill steps are no easier!

On the last morning of the hiking part of the trek, we gave tips and other gifts to our guide, cook and porters. We had a mini-ceremony, where we thanked the crew for their hard work and for their expert service. We gave them little gifts of pens, baseball caps (Adventures Within Reach, of course) and chocolate candy. Finally, we gave them their tips in appreciation for their hard work.

Barbara Colliander


Day Four took our group into Machu Picchu. (The actual tour of Machu Picchu was on Day Five.) Our route was cut off at Winay Wayna ruins due to a landslide that had happened the preceding month, and the trail had not yet been repaired. We were assured that the trail would again be open by the first of July for the rest of the trekking season. As a result of the trail closure, we did not enter Machu Picchu via the famed Sun Gate; instead, we descended from Winay Wayna on the porter's trail to km 107 of the railroad track and walked the track into Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes).

The hike this day was mostly downhill. That did not translate to "easy", but simply meant that one did not lose one's breath. The Inca steps (we are told 3,000 of them, but would estimate 5,000!) were difficult to negotiate, especially with the rain! However, we were treated to many beautiful flowers (as was true all along the trail), and took many pictures of the orchids and other brilliantly colored native blossoms.

Lunch at Winay Wayna was in a restaurant/hostel type building along side many other groups. Everyone converged on this place before continuing to Machu Picchu -- the short Inca Trail trekkers (starting at km 104) as well as the other groups who started at km 77, 82, and 88. Nearby were the ruins of WiƱay Wayna, discovered in 1942 (more recently than Machu Picchu!). We had a cultural tour at that amazing ruins before descending with the many trekkers and porters, who all had to take the trail down to km 107 and hike the 5 km to Machu Picchu Pueblo. This is where we stayed overnight in a hotel. Ah, showers and a bed! The day's distance totaled about 11 km. It would be similar, had we taken the normal route into Machu Picchu, then a bus down to Machu Picchu Pueblo.

Day Five at Machu Picchu--We are soooo stiff and sore!

Day Five at Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary was awesome, in spite of the fact that we did not enter through the Sun Gate the previous day...and despite fog and threatening rain. We met our guide (same person as the trek) early, so we could avoid the crowds that arrive around ten in the morning.

Barbara Colliander


Our guide told of the discovery of Machu Picchu by Hiram Bingham in 1911. We walked and learned all about the Inca citadel that was formed here on a narrow ridge near Huayna (Wayna) Picchu Mountain and Machu Picchu Mountain. It is believed that the settlement was built by Pachacuti (the Inca ruler) as a retreat for his royal family. Thus, it is a combination of temples, gathering places, residences and work areas. Indeed, we felt that it is a very sacred place and are awed by the architecture, setting, and the theories surrounding the Inca culture. One can only imagine what it was like then, the splendor of the "city", yet, at the same time, realize the relative simplicity of their lifestyle.

Although we did not take the opportunity to climb Wayna Picchu (our sore legs said "NO"), there was plenty of time for that side trip. It is a must...if your legs and energy are still in good order! Instead, we chose to take the shuttle bus back down to Machu Picchu Pueblo, to shop at the markets and rest!

Barbara Colliander


We spent a free day at Machu Picchu Pueblo, before returning to Cusco via Ollantaytambo. The free day was a nice addition to our trip.

As we returned to our hotel in Cusco, we knew that our 'Adventures Within Reach' trek was truly an adventure! We never doubted it was "within reach", but the "adventure" well exceeded our expectations!

Additional Information for Trekking the Inca Trail

The Outfitter
-----------
The outfitter used by Adventures Within Reach in Peru is an outstanding group of professional guides and cooks, and hard-working porters. The campsites are selected to be away from crowds, though you will often pass or be passed by other groups of trekkers.

This company is very conservation minded and with an Environmental Management System (EMS) is committed to sustainable development of tourism/trekking and, as such, has high standards for recycling, using biodegradable products and 'leaving no trace'.

For more information on this and other treks, you may go to www.adventureswithinreach.com

Inca Trail rules
-----------------
The Inca Trail has recently imposed new regulations for the Inca Trail. These rules are designed to minimize the damage to the ruins and terrain, due to overuse, and intended to conserve this historical resource.

First, you must have a permit and you must have a guide. Permits are limited to 500 people per day (that includes your porters)! Thus, for July and August treks (most popular months), book well in advance!

Second, no disposable plastic water bottles are allowed. You may take the Nalgene type water bottles or your water hydration system.

Third, hiking poles are allowed, but you must use rubber tips, to minimize the impact on the terrain (rocks and earth).

Finally, the porters' association has succeeded in getting a limit to the weight they can carry on the trek. Since the porters carry your main pack, this translates to an 8 kilogram limit for your personal backpack/duffel. You may carry what you wish in your day pack. Indeed, you will have your water, jacket, raingear, camera, sunscreen and such, in your day pack.

Note also, that for much of the trail, they no longer allow burros, horses or llamas. Local people will have them and, of course, these highlanders share the trail in populated areas.

Meals: The meals included in the package are plentiful and delicious! We thought we had a special gourmet cook, but were told that he was typical! The cooks have in-service training and teach each other....with a bit of the usual competition for "presentation"! Breakfast includes tea, coffee, cocoa, along with a hot entree (eggs, pancakes, cereal) and rolls/bread. Lunches are cooked and include vegetables or salad (fresh) with a meat or possibly a pasta salad. The last day of the trek is a picnic lunch with sandwiches. Snacks are fruit (fresh oranges, bananas, tangerines, passion fruit) and candy bars/energy bars. Tea time includes whole grain rolls with butter and jam or crackers and cheese or popcorn. Dinners start with soup, then a hot entree (stews, chicken, spaghetti, or othermeat/ fish), potatoes and veggies (cooked or salad) and dessert. Lunch at Machu Picchu is at a restaurant.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1

El_Capitan - Jan 24, 2007 3:38 am - Hasn't voted

should do this hike before you die

did this hike in march, 2003. the hike was surprisingly difficult but to arrive at macchu picchu on the 4th day was worth it. this hike is reasonable for anyone is decent shape. the porters will carry all the gear.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Camino Inca km 82Trip Reports