Indian Head Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.09800°N / 71.699°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This trail begins off of Route 3 near the Indian Head Resort. You'll see signs for Indian Head viewing on I-93 and that is the exit you'll want to take to get onto Route 3. As you head north on Route 3 the trailhead will be on your left with a parking lot just before you reach the resort which will be on your right.

Route Description


This is the longer of the two trails that ascend Mount Pemigewasset, but also the easier. The trail ascends at fairly easy grades through the forest and also crosses under the summit ledges far above. In a total of 1.9 miles, the trail climbs the mountain and takes you nearly to the top before the Mount Pemigewasset Trail comes in on your left.

From here it is a short fifty yards to the summit and the panorama which unveils itself before your eyes. Views from the summit include quite a few four thousand footers and if that's not enough, the dramatic drop-off will keep your attention. These large granite slabs slant out towards the edge so watch your step and enjoy.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, snacks/water, trekking poles, and a camera.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.