Mount Pemigewasset Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.09800°N / 71.699°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route leaves the parking area of the Flume Gorge Visitors Center and heads north for 150 yards along a bike path by which the trailhead is reached. From the lot you can look east towards Mts. Liberty and Flume and take in the wonderful views. To your west looms Mt. Pemigewasset. From the trailhead you'll head down a little hill and head through the first of three tunnels. One crosses under Route 3 and the other two go under the north and south bound lanes of Interstate 93. From here the actual ascent begins.

Follow the trail through a beautiful wooded setting as it switches back and forth up the mountain side. You'll cross three streams by way of bridge, but be careful because they haven't been maintained properly. It may be better just to cross the streams where possible. Otherwise, the trail is in great shape as you head towards the summit. Once you reach the top of the ridge you may think you're almost there, but not quite. You'll turn south and continue up the summit cone where the Indian Head Trail will come in on your right. From here it is only about another fifty yards to the summit ledges.

This is the part where the jaw drops and your body tells you to flee. The cliffs drop nearly 1,500 feet down into Franconia Notch and views extend in all directions but due north. You'll have in your view quite a few four thousand footers including Tecumseh, Oseceola, Moosilauke, the Tripyramids, Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty, Flume, and the Kinsmans. This hike is well worth it just for the dramatic summit alone. It is 1.5 miles each way making the hike a 3 mile round-trip with just under 1,200 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking shoes, snacks/water, trekking poles, and a good camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.