Indian Peak (Sevier Plateau)

Indian Peak (Sevier Plateau)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.55633°N / 111.96206°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9830 ft / 2996 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A shorter peak on the east side of the Sevier Plateau the stands over Koosharem Creek and the town of Koosharem. The hike is relatively easy and affords an incredible view of the region. A fire destroyed much of the forest on the north side of the peak so much of the hike is through dead and burnt trees with Aspen saplings.

From Koosharem Canyon Road
From Koosharem Canyon Road

Getting There

From Koosharem, take the Koosharem Canyon Road (FR076) west for 4.6 miles. Continue straight as it turns into FR086 (Monroe Mountain Road) for another 3.6 miles. Once to the north of the peak, just prior to entering the forest from the great meadow, turn right onto FR2424. This road requires higher clearance for about 0.4 miles as it dead ends at the edge of the rim overlooking the Koosharem Creek.

Route

From the end of the dirt road near the fencing, simply travel along the rim/ridge to the summit. Be careful with the occasional cluster of barbed wire on the ground from the fence that burned along with the pine forest.

Round trip Distance: 1.14 miles Elevation Gain: 330 feet

Red Tape

No permits or reservations required. Please practice "leave no trace" ethics.

When to Climb

Year-round but the best time is in the spring or fall.

Camping

There are several primitive sites in the area. Koosharem Campground about 2 miles west of the town on Koosharem Canyon Road is an option. Another option is Koosharem Reservoir.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sevier PlateauMountains & Rocks