Into the Fire (Again)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 20, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
In 2009, Dad and two of his brothers took me to Valley of Fire State Park to hike and climb around the White Domes. Two years later, he took me back on two separate days, this time with Mom and my sister and brother as well.

This is mostly a photo trip report with a little commentary.

White Domes Loop


NarrowsTom heads into the Narrows
PrimrosesPrimroses that Dad thought were cool. Please!
Desert Flower?Desert flower? Come on!
Sandstone ScramblingNow this is a little more like it!


Dad craftily had us take two cars so he could stay later and climb something, but before he ditched us, I got him to take me up the exposed lower peak of the White Domes that he refused to take me up two years prior:
White Domes-- West Peak Summit

Mouse's Tank


This was a short hike to a pothole that Dad threatened to throw us into. Mom and Dad thought the petroglyphs were all exciting, but I didn't see what the big deal was, especially when they told me I couldn't scratch my name onto the rocks.

Petroglyphs
Petroglyphs
Petroglyphs



Petroglyphs
Petroglyphs


For me, the highlights were the little slots and the rocks we got to climb on:
Hangin  Out
Prima Donna or Climber?Caroline learned what stemming was this day and was really proud of herself, though she's not exactly dressed like a climber here.


We didn't get to go back during our 2012 trip, but Dad took us to Red Rock Canyon instead, where he sold me and Caroline on "adventure ways," which seemed to be a way of saying hiking without the trails and with lots of rock climbing thrown in along the way. It was good.


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Valley of FireTrip Reports