Jack Williams Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.24176°N / 69.05731°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 to 2 in most areas
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Although this trail does not lead directly to any of the peaks in the Camden Hills, it is a great connector trail to get you from Maiden's Cliff (or other more western trails) to either Mt. Megunticook (via the Adam's Lookout trail and the Ridge Trail) or to Mt. Battie (via the tablelahd's trail and the autoroad)

Getting There

This trail is not reached directly from a trailhead. Rather, it can be reached via other trails.

To reach Camden Hills State Park: Follow Rte. 1 (North from in town Camden or South from Lincolnville) until you reach the park entrance). There are several ways to reach this trail from here:

1. From the second parking area located about 1/2 way up the Mt. Battie Autoroad, catch the tableland's trail for about 1 mile. The Jack Williams Trail will begin and go left while the Adam's Lookout trail goes straight.

2.
pine groves
From Ocean Lookout on Mt. Megunticook, follow the Ridge Trail towards Mt. Battie for about 0.2mi. Be careful as the Ridge Trail is a bit difficult to follow when up on Ocean Lookout. If you are looking out over the harbor, the Ridge Trail goes behind you into the woods and heads NW to the summit of Mt. Megunticook and from here to other trails in this trail system. To catch the Jack William's Trail (looking at the harbor), you will head left and down the ledges (the comment "to Mt. Battie" is written on the ledge right by the trail. I found this confusing, but we found the trail anyway). This short section is quite steep and can be very slippery when wetAfter about 0.2 mi, you right for the tablelands trail. Turn right again. You are now on the Jack Williams trail.

Route Description

Ocean lookout ledges
[img:450276:alignleft:medium:] This trail is approximately two miles long. When coming from Ocean Lookout, it begins as a walk through hardwood with the impressive ledges of Mt. Megunticook (and Ocean Lookout) to your right. You will follow these ridges for the first 0.3 miles or so. Sometimes, you can see people up on Ocean Lookout. The trail continues as a walk in the woods ending in a pine grove before turning sharply right and ending at the Scenic Trail. There is some minor rock scrambling at the end. From here, you can turn left to head to Maiden's Cliff or right to access the "backside" of Mt. Megunticook trails or the summit of Mt. Megunticook (and, from there Ocean Lookout again). This trail is a favorite of mine to make an approximately 7.0 mile loop that includes Maiden's Cliff and Ocean Lookout.

Essential Gear

Nothing more than you would need for any day hike: snacks, water, good light to medium hiking boots, appropriate cloths for the weather, emergency supplies (band aids, stuff like this)

External Links

Camden Hills State Park at Visit Maine.com

Maine Department of Conservation, Camden Hills State Park


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.