"January Jigsaw": Rannoch Face

"January Jigsaw": Rannoch Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 56.64623°N / 4.90034°W
Additional Information Route Type: Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 'Severe'
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the road approach the Crowberry Basin and at the top of the basin climb up the rocks to Crowberry ridge. The wall is very distinctive; it is one of the most popular parts of the mountain. It is a quick drying wall which catches a lot of sunlight, it looks over Ranoch moor.
There are lots of recognised rock climbing routes up the wall - I have described one of them.

Route Description


You will need to look at a guide book as it is too hard to describe the start point on a face with so many other routes: Try - Glen Coe Rock and Ice Climbs (SMC). This description comes from that book.
1st Pitch, 20m: Climb steep twin right facing corner cracks for 7 m and then go up on the left by some rock steps. There is a flake from which to belay.
2nd Pitch, 20m: Move right and climb by a flake-crack & short steep wall to block belay.
3rd Pitch, 15m: Traverse right and up around the edge of a wall. continue up and round and there is a metal spike to belay from.
4th pitch, 20m: Traverse again to the right. Climba grove and pull out left onto the wall. Continue up the Crowberry Ridge.

At the ridge continue to scramble to the summit.

Essential Gear


There are obviously no bolts so full rack of rock climbing gear essential. i took a rucksack with boots in to descend the normal route.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.