The Curved ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 56.64528°N / 4.91638°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade 3 Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Curved ridge

Curved Ridge is the most popular of 'The Buckle's' scrambles and treads the fine line between scrambling and climbing. It forms the left wall of Easy Gully and lies below the semi-detatched peak of Crowberry Tower.

Crowberry Tower

It is one of Scotland's high quality scrambles with thrilling views of Rannoch Wall and if you're lucky, you may see climbers dangling off it.

Getting There

The Curved Ridge walk begins at the parking place on the A82 where the main traverse begins. Cross the footbridge and pass the diggers by the river turning off the main tourist path at the first fork. taking this traversing path round the North Butress and take the zig-zag path through the scree to the bottom of the cliffs and don the hard hats.

The Formidable walls of the Buckle

Route Description

Follow the gently curving ridge as it rises above Easy Gully. As the reader climbs higher he will encounter increasing steepness and drops to either side. this ridge has large numbers of incuts but many are polished through excessive use so care is essential. The ridge reaches a scree slope with Crowberry Tower dominating above.

A step or two will reach the gap and a short scramble to the left will see you on top of Stob Dearg. It is also much better to take in Crowberry Tower (to the right) at the same time but this may require a rope.

Essential Gear

A Hard hat is probably preferable and a precautionary rope as well as the usual walking gear.

External Links

consultation for this route include the SMC The Munros and Cicerone's Scotland's Mountain Ridges

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.